News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

61 DeVille

Started by Andy Brooking, August 30, 2010, 06:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Brooking

Hi, I have a 61 DeVille and would like to repower it. It has a 390 currently and I would like to go big block. Can anyone advise me on what is going to be able to fit without any chopping or modification to the engine bay and where I can get a new motor for it. Thanks

35-709

Andy, you might be better off asking your question at the Modified Chapter of the Cadillac LaSalle Club   http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

Yep the guys on the Modified board will have details for you.   If you decide to sell the 390 please post it here so it can keep another Caddy on the road.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dan LeBlanc

Well, you have three choices:

1.  A Cadillac 390
2.  A Cadillac 390
3.  Well, you get the point.

Swaps have been done to BBC's, newer Cadillac engines, etc, etc.  Unfortunately, these cars don't accept anything other than the 390 without a lot of modification and alteration.  The Cadillac 390 in top form and well tuned will give years of reliable, powerful, service.  They'll cruise at 80mph all day long, do burnouts, whatever you need to get your kicks. Keep in mind, this engine is well designed with mounds of torque bare bones stock.

In the end, rebuilding a 390 is usually the best option if yours is old and tired.

What exactly are you looking to accomplish with a swap?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car