News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What's it worth? '65 Convertible

Started by mgbeda, September 01, 2010, 05:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

I know, this is the toughest question to answer.  Especially considering you are getting information from me, and I myself am getting it second-hand over the phone.  But here goes anyhow...

A friend of mine is thinking of buying a '65 DeVille convertible from a friend of his.  The car has been sitting (indoors) for about 15 years.  From his description the car is complete (or mostly complete) , straight and rust-free.  On the other hand it has a few tears in the top and upholstery, and generally faded paint.  My friend was able to get the engine started, but couldn't get it in gear; the tranny seems to be empty so it may just need fluid, or it may need a lot more.  The heater and A/C don't work.  That's about all I know about the car; don't know the mileage.  Overall it sounds to me like it's best described as having a lot of potential.

My gut feel is that a fair price for this car is about $3,000.  What does the forum think?

Thank you all,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Chris Conklin

There could be (and likely will be) endless debate about the worth of anything. But I'll skip that and say I pretty much agree with you, on a basic level, of the worth of a long stored non-running car. I would not pay more than $2500-$3000 for a "decent" restorable car in that condition. I would classify $3000 for this car as generous and beyond fair. Honestly, I personally would start at about $1,000. Perhaps that explains the absence of a bunch of rusty cars in my yard.  ;D

I'm going to also say it was probably a bad thing that there was an attempt to start it and put it in gear.
Chris Conklin

Otto Skorzeny

Before I read your gut feeling mine was telling me $2000 to $2500 but I would offer $1000 to $1500.

I just noticedChris said about the same thing.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

If it's complete and rust free you could do okay at $2,000-3,000. But you have to be honest with condition. After sitting for 15 years you're looking at replacing all the seals in the engine and tranny. Add a carb rebuild and all the belts and hoses plus new tires and going through the brakes. Then add the cost of a new top, carpet and upholstery. Tack on the cost of replacing all the rubber trim so it doesn't leak. Then taking off all the trim and sanding it down and painting it. Replating and reparing all the chrome and stainless and puting it all back down. Then replacing all the bolts and clips you break. Then go on e-Bay and look at the cost of a really nice deVille convertible and compare the two costs. One driveable now and the other off in the indeterminate future after spending twice what you thought. Unless you can do most of the work I listed yourself go buy a driver and enjoy it.

I bought a 43,000 original miles Coupe deVille for $1800. It starts and runs great but smokes like crazy because the valve seals  leak like a sieve. It's straight with no rust except the trunk lip rusted out from humidity in the garage. I'm cutting it up for parts for my Eldorado.

Greg Powers

I think that a better place to start is  "What do I want and how much will it cost to put this car in that condition?". You have already mentioned some of the most expensive parts of a car restoration, engine, transmission, paint and chrome and that's not counting the interior and the top and mechanical action.  If it is needing work in all these areas you must be in love with car and ready to open your checkbook, or sigh and walk away. Once you start the journey you can rarely turn back without even more money being lost.Good luck. - Greg (Best advice I ever received was to buy as nice a Cadillac as you have money, you'll be happier in the long run.)
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Steve W

Q:  You know how to sell a 65 convertible for 22,000.00  ???
A:  Put about 35,000.00 in it !!

Seriously, the car is going to be a money pit! (It probably already WAS, that's why its been neglected for 15 years)

So, see what the seller wants for it, but I'm thinking 2500 is about right, depending. More like 1500-2000, but another 500 (cuz its a convertible) seems OK...but only because you said the magic words "Rust-Free". I hope your friend really examined the floors and trunk and took a weak refrigerator magnet to the fenders, and quarters, low and behind the wheels.

Also, here's hoping the instument cluster, dash and up under the dash is rust-free too. Convertibles are fun, but boy they collect a lot of moisture,,,top up OR down!

"...having a lot of potential" when describing a potential car purchase is kinda like "she's got a real good personality" when describing a blind date!   :o

I'm just sayin...

Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866