News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Installing gas tank in 49

Started by mhowlett, September 02, 2010, 02:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhowlett

I am ready to install the tank in my 49 60s.Have a couple questions.When I pulled the tank out of my parts car I Noticed some matieriel glued to the straps,of course when I had the straps sand blasted this was removed,what purpose does this serve?Need to replace and if so with what?Also where can I find the T bolts that hold the straps-mine broke.Any other tips would be aprieciated.Thanks in advance for all your help.Mike Howlett

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Mike,

The "Insulating" material between the tank and the straps is there to protect the pieces so that no chafing occurs between the tank and the straps, and the tank and the upper mounting brackets.

Not sure what the factory used, but it appeared to be a "Tarred Felt", but as you found out, it falls to pieces when disturbed.   Ormanoid building dampcourse cut to width looks pretty much like it was original.

I would be making my own "T" bolts if I couldn't buy replacements, but use a High Tensile thread, with locking nuts when making them.   Simply weld a cross-piece of the same diameter rod, to the end of the threaded bar, and you will be good to hang.

Plus, before you re-hang the tank, install a Ground Wire from the Sender mounting flange to the Chassis or body.   Leave it sufficiently long enough so that you can attach it when the tank is in place.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Fred Pennington 25635

T- bolts are available from Restoration Supply Company    www.restorationstuff.com
or an eye bolt will work if your not worried about originality
I believe they also sell the insulating material as well

Fred
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Jeff Maltby 4194

I installed my mint/oem 49 tank (not one speck of dirt-rust inside) 6 months ago. The top oem felt was perfect, so I used roofing felt paper for the btm straps which I glued on. I can cut you 2 strips and post if need be ? Takes 2 guys to install if one is on your back like son and I were :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Herman Desser

As Jeff mentioned.  Having done 2 cads recently a 48 &49.  Go to any building supply  store (Home Depot, Lowes or) any buy a roll of 90# roofing tar paper and cut to size, the with of the upper and lower straps and glue to the strap.  I, as mentioned, prevents chaffing between the tank and straps.  The tank shou;d be either the metal color or black as the jury is out on which is correct as cars seem to have both,  Many of the 49s were undercoated so black would be the color,  My 48 was the bare metal color but my 49 was undercoated so pick a color,  Make sure when attaching the fuel line to the yank that you have the brass double flared fitting ib the tank between the tank fitting and the fuel line or you will never get a seal between the two.  If you have lost it contact Jeff Maltby  as he had some made for those that lost them. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE.

Good Luck

Herman 19416  (co-editor of the 48/49 Authencity Manual)