News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Correct vinyl top "grain" for 1972 Fleetwood

Started by GBrown #8092, September 03, 2010, 10:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

As near as I have been able to research the correct top grain should be small cross grain. The shop is being told it should be either elk grain grain or levant. As near as I can tell Levant is for lincolns. There is also tuxedo grain which might be acceptable.

Not getting too stress as this is intended to be a nice driver but would like to do it right.

Does anybody know which is correct and whether any of these other names are different ways of saying the say thing?

G. Brown  #8092

okccadman

I put tuxedo grain on my 70 Coupe de Ville.  It was as close as my local trim suppliers could come to the small cross grain.  It is just a bit finer when compare dto the "grain" texture of the factory mouldings and much better looking than the elk grain roof the original owners had installed years before as a replacement.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

jagbuxx #12944

You are correct that the smaller cross grain is correct. Elk grain was correct for Fleetwood Talisman/deElegance or Eldo's with the half tops.
Levant was a Lincoln name for their top. Tuxedo grain came out in '77 and was a tight coarse grain, also is harder to keep clean.
I would personally hold out for finding the correct grain

F Burns
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

See the sixth paragraph: http://www.rrrclc.org/color_database.htm

The correct grain material is likely available from SMS, Oregon, or Original Auto Interiors, MI. If you have a special color, the material can be dyed to match.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

RobW

I'm almost positive that 72 and 73 used the same grain. The difference being that 72 had 2 seams and 73 had a single seam down the middle. The reason for the change was that 73's could be ordered with a wider sun roof while the 72 sun roof had to fit between the seams.
SMS can make you a top in the correct grain and color. Go to their website and request a sample. I put one on my 73 last year and its a perfect match to the moldings.
Rob Wirsing

G Brown #8092

Thank you. I had looked at the RR Region website but missed that paragraph. I had also forgotten about SMS.
I had been in a thrash to try and get the top done before the Gilmore event and wasn't thinking as calmly as i sometimes do. I took it anyway, without the top, a strange site contrasted against the shiny paint.

Appreciate the Feedback.

Is this a great club or what

Glenn

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

I remember the vinyl top on my dad's '72 Fleetwood Brougham well.  It was "pebbly" if that helps at all.  I'd recognize it instantly if I saw a picture.