News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

55 Correct Window Felt

Started by James Mundstock, September 04, 2010, 11:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Mundstock

I have a 55 Coupe DeVille that has been disturbed by someone from the past. Therefore, I really don't know what is the correct window felt. The flipper and the roof rail quater trim seems like it sould have the felt with the stainless bead to snap in the curl on the stainless trim. On the quater window trim, one side should have the felt with the stainless bead to snap in its curl and the same stainless bead is stapled to the opposite. Is this correct? There are felts for the outside of the quater windows that have clips to snap to the inside of the quater panel. I think these are felts with no stainless bead. Is this correct? Now for the inner metal upper door panels and inner upper quarter panels. These have felts with stainless beads and they were pop rivetted on which I know is wrong. I can tell from the inside of the panel the originals were stapled on but I am still not sure if it is the felt with stainless beads or non-stainless beads. If any of you restration experts know what is correct on all my questions, I would appreciate direction. Thanks.

jeff1956

You can order a flipper rebuild kit that comes with the new felts, but it is not an era correct felt, instead it is a modern type felt.  You can get them from Chevy suppliers for the 55-57 Chevy coupes....the fit and function is identical to the ones installed on mid-50's Cadillacs.  I have a rebuild it waiting for me to get time to rebuild the ones on my 54 coupe.  It comes with all the directions and pictures you'll need to do the job yourself. 

Best of luck!

Jeff