News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

CLUB GENERATED MAIL SPAM

Started by wingspread7, September 07, 2010, 10:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingspread7

After about 2 years membership, why have I just received advertising from THE ANTIQUE AUTO SHOP at my business address opening with "As a member of the Cadillac LaSalle Club, I would like to welcome you as a new member"?   It goes on about their services, etc., Sincerely yours, Terry Kesselring.   I've heard of others in this club being spam e-mailed too.   This is the type of thing that will loose members fast.   Either find the "mole" or I too am gone.   
                                                                                                          Chuck

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Chuck,

This is a club, we publish a directory and some may use it for their own purposes.

But in genertal we get to find like minded folks or contact others we have not chatted with who have similar cars.

If you don't like the spam use a spam blocker, don't blame the club.

lak

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

35-709

>:(  Those that have been on these forums on a regular basis know what I have to say about this potential problem.  MAYBE they got a hold of a club directory, maybe Mr. Kesselring is a club member and has a directory, MAYBE not.   No further comment or my post may be deleted.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Chuck,
You seem to be overly offended at receiving car related email. I, personally, would not consider it "spam" Spam to me is drugs, sex ,scams.  ETC.  Mr. Kesselring is a long time member. I looked him up in my club directly. I see you are not following forum rules and are using a "handle" & not your full name or club #. How do we know who YOU are?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

wingspread7

John,
  I do use a spam blocker on my e-mail.   My post had to do with MAIL SPAM.   I was unaware of the very public "Directory" and  have never had this problem with any of my other on line car forum clubs.
                                                                                                     Chuck  

Geof,
  Thank you for your input.   It helped clear this up for me.
                                                                                  Chuck

wingspread7

Bob, et al'
   This has nothing to do with e-mail spam.   It's   M    A   I   L       S   P   A   M.   In my postal mailbox.   Please forgive my lack of "not following the rules".   The other forums I'm on don't require first and last names and this is the first time I've ever been dressed down for it in this club.  I've just paid my $50 each year and interacted.   
                                                                                                              My name is Chuck Webster

Otto Skorzeny

The other forums I'm on don't require first and last names and this is the first time I've ever been dressed down for it in this club.

We're with you, Bud.

How do we know who YOU are?
Bob, how does anyone know who anybody is online? Just because someone declares that he is "so and so" doesn't make it so. There is no way to verify any of it and there is really no need too.

I know there are frequent posters on this forum who use assumed names but are "in compliance" with the name rule simply because the powers that be have no way of knowing what anybody's real name is.  It's quite ridiculous when one thinks about it.

If I hadn't told people my name 3 or 4 years ago when I joined this forum, I would have remained Otto Skorzeny and who would be able to prove otherwise?  For that matter what difference would it make and who would care? 

Think about this. How does anyone here know that I'm not a member of the CLC under my real name and that my name on this forum isn't a pseudonym?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Fred Zwicker #23106

It might not necessarily be the "CLC Directory" that caused you distress - In the jacket of each issue of the "Self-Starter" is a list of all new members by name and address.   I do not see anything on that page advising that the list is not to be used for commercial purposes, nor do I see anything about any other restrictions of use.  Perhaps a statement to that effect should be displayed prominently on that page to discourage such use.  Or possibly the new member's zip code, and maybe even the street address and/or city could be non-published at this location.  Just an idea.  As for the Directory, CLC should have some way of omitting addresses and phone numbers if requested to do so by the club members, if such an option is not already in place.  Information on how to do this could be published in the front of the Directory, along with other information of interest.

I am a known antique car collector and frequently receive unsolicited mailings from many companies in the hobby. I prefer this to the many catalogs that my wife and I receive from credit card companies, clothing stores and travel agencies, along with surveys.  I do not know how others get my name and address, nor do I want to spend  time in trying to do so, as it is an impossibility.  Quite often I receive very interesting and useful information - other times I have no interest and discard it.   Sometimes I will either email, mail or call the company, requesting that my name and address be removed from future mailings - not too difficult to do. When someone mails a catalog or direct mail letter, it costs that company plenty for the ad, and especially for the postage, so they are always happy to remove you from their mailing list if requested to do so.  My peeve is with companies that sell or rent my name and address, which is in my opinion is not a good way to do business.  One-time mailings are not a big issue.  Sometimes it is better not to sweat the small stuff and I try not to do so.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Eric S. Maypother #15104

With all the junk mail we receive I don't know whats wrong with a car person receiving a car related mailing. I get tons of junk mail, most just gets tossed in the paper recycle bin, car related stuff usually gets saved in my collection if it has any Cadillac pictures on it.

Theirs so many ways people get your address, they can buy list, member directories, phone books, town resident directories, etc. Sometimes when I'm at recycling center I'll look through magazines, it's funny how TV Guide's and Good Housekeeping will have the address label ripped off cover, then Guns & Ammo will have the persons address label left on. People seem pretty worried about someone knowing they receive the TV Guide, if I wanted to know people in towns name and address I just go to the Town Hall and buy a town resident book for $10.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

35-709

As a friend of mine, and friend and member of this club, pointed out to me ----

" Page 2 of the Directory indicates that the Directory is intended solely for the personal use of the CLC members.  The use of the directory for solicitation or any commercial and/or any political use is prohibited."

It was also pointed out to me that a few years ago a certain CLC region used the directory to mail to many (maybe all) members a solicitation for a Cadillac themed clock and thermometer as a fund raiser for the region.  Maybe this type of use of the directory is considered acceptable, I don't know.

Geoff N.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

wingspread7

Hello again,
               This is Chuck Webster, member #25935,
                                                                        Correct me if I'm wrong:  For the price of membership in the club this "Directory" has all our addresses where our vehicles are probably stored.   With the growing rash of stolen custom, rod and antique autos, especially in these border states, I don't feel real good about that.
                                                                                                                 Chuck

Otto Skorzeny

You're preaching to the choir here, Chuck.

One member removed his restoration thread on this forum because of the requirement to post his full name. Matters of privacy on the web and in printed publications should be left to the individual as to how much information he wishes to share.

I understand that the CLC list is sort of a gentleman's agreement to help members get in touch with others about model/year specific questions. I think it is extremely poor judgment for a member to use the list for his own business purposes. Place an ad in the SS if you want to get to everyone on the roster.

I think the membership roster should be treated with great care by individual members because of the reasons you suggest. It's sad but true. These are the times in which we live.

I certainly wouldn't post a list of cars I own along with my street address and full name.
fward

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

I wasn't happy to see commercial advertising sharing the same pages as the photos of the 2010 Grand National cars in the Self- Starter.  It really detracted from the photos.

wingspread7

I Just finished contact with Lars.   His point was that I had nothing bad yet to report about the directory and that the majority want it.   That being the case, why not have it OPTIONAL for those of us who don't feel comfortable with it?   (Everything was fine.....until the first tower was hit.)
                                                Chuck Webster, member # 25935

Otto Skorzeny

Agreed.

And who makes the decision as to what commercial use of the list by members is acceptable and what isn't?  Isn't allowing it to be done by one person for commercial reasons opening the door for anyone to do so? What's to keep anybody from paying $50 a year for a captive audience of prospective customers?
fward

Art Director

Responding to Jim Skelly’s message, as the person who is largely responsible for planning page positions in The Self-Starter in collaboration with the editor, I see only one page (page 29) in the September issue that had cars mixed with an ad on the same page. Another thing to point out is that advertising (including the classifieds we all love) generally takes up less than one-third of the space in each month’s issue. Most commercial magazines shoot for 60 percent advertising.

If it weren't for our loyal advertisers in our publications, your CLC dues would be much higher than $35/$50 per year.

Tim
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

Tim,

I hope you don't take my comment personally.  Each issue of the Self-Starter looks professional and I'm sure takes a great deal of effort to put together AND mailed on time.  I just think in the future it would be better to have no advertising on the same pages as the photos from the current year's Grand National.  It really detracted from the article.  Commercial advertising keeps the cost down, and we certainly don't want to limit it.  

wingspread7

Was this directory mailed out to us all?   If so, I have not yet received mine and seem unable to find it here.   Can someone direct me?   
      Thanks, Chuck Webster, member #25935

Art Director

If you subscribe Periodical Class ($35 in the U.S. per year), the directory is scheduled to be mailed in a bag with your November-December issue of The Self-Starter. If you subscribe First-Class ($50 in the U.S. per year), your directory will be sent separately via Periodical Class from your magazine. Expect to see it in your mailboxes in November.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Kevin M. Parkinson

Tim,

I got a 2010 directory, it seems in April of this year.  Was there a permanent shift in its production?
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV