News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Gold plating sources without breaking the bank

Started by Caddy Wizard, September 08, 2010, 12:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

My 56 60S has some gold trim bits that could stand to be re-plated.  Stuff like the front and rear V's and the "FLEETWOOD" letters on the trunk.  Does anyone know a good plater that won't charge me a fortune to replate these parts?  My parts are in good shape and don't need metal work that I can see.  The V's aren't pitted, but the gold is just about gone.

Art G
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Art,

Technically those gold pieces are supposed to be gold anodized. The replacements sold by McVey's are gold plated but look very different from the original style.

If you are planning to have them gold plated, it would be cheaper to by new ones already done I think.

Offhand I don't know who does proper anodizing.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Art,

Contact Industrial Metal Plating  in PA and speak to Jamey Maack, 610-374-5107.They did the bright anodizing on my Brougham and were a pleasure to work with and produced beautiful results. They specialize in aluminum finishing including “gold” anodizing. Auto items are a service to the hobby, not their prime business. You’ll find  golds available from yellowish to orange tone, so I’m certain you can closely match the original color. I don’t believe they do any repair. Whatever you send is what you’ll get back, only colored. Pricing is by the batch. You’ll want to send all your gold items in one batch.

HTH,
Ralph

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

P Tesone

Art - I wrote a reply earlier, but for some reason it apparently didn't post. Let's try again . I believe I identified myself according to the new rules , so I'll be interested in seeing what happens this time . A few years ago I had the same items that needed restoration . I couldn't find the correct gold anodized color so I decided to have them plated . I used Three Rivers Gold Plating Co. in Fort Wayne , Indiana. I chose this company based soley on their web site and my conversation with someone named Tom in the business office. They did a very nice job , and the price seemed reasonable . I don't believe at the time they did anodizing , nor did they do repairs . If it's anodizing you're looking for , Ralph's suggestion might be better . Good luck . Paul Tesone  CLC # 6876