News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Iginition Switch Socket/Plug for 1959 Cadillac

Started by Fairfax Cadillac, September 08, 2010, 09:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairfax Cadillac

I just  purchased a 1959 Cadillac Convertible.  It's out in Las Vegas getting ready to get on a transporter to Virginia, and I haven't seen it yet.

I've been told by the seller that the plug or socket into which the ignition switch plugs is cracked or shorted out and needs to be replaced.  I did a little seaching and have not found on-line a source for this plug or socket with pig tail wiring.

I did some searching on eBay and see that the ignition switch is the same for 1957-1961 Cadillacs, so the socket/plug for the ignitions switch must also be the same.

Question 1: Is there a source for a part like this?  I'm new to this old car stuff, and don't know where to get old parts.

Question 2: If the plug/socket is not available, it looks like I could simply solder on spade connectors to each of the wires, plug the space connectors onto the switch, and do without the multi-wire plug.  Anybody have any experience with this?  The back of the ignition switch (from an eBay ad) is shown below, and it looks like it would be straightforward to cut out the ignition switch socket/plug for individual wire spade connectors.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Jim
J. Kulbaski
Fairfax Station, VA
1959 Series 62 Convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jim,

Don't limit your search to just Cadillac.

You wouldn't believe how many other GM Brands use the same, or similar switch configuration, and then simply detach the internal clips using a small pin slid down into the front of the socket to release the retaining clip.   Then, re-bend the clip before inserting it into the new plastic retainer.

But, reading what the seller told you, I believe that there is something deeper has gone wrong, because even if the socket is cracked, and falling to pieces, the resistance pressure on the pins to clips will retain the individual wiring in place.

These plastic sockets just don't degrade and fall to pieces.   Maybe the actual switch has fallen to pieces.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

Its not so uncommon for these switches to fail.  I had one that would keep cranking the starter after you released it from the starter position.  The problem was a carbon path over to the start terminal, formed from the repetition of the internal spark when releasing the starter. 

As for using individual push on lugs, I would not want to try that.  There is to much chance of getting a lug wrong, or it coming off and starting an electrical arc to something.  Bruce Roe

cadparts58

When the car arrives, you may want to also check the switch itself. My friend's 57 had a ignition problem. When I took the switch out the plastic connector and wire connections were melted. Someone had put an after market switch in and it shorted. I replaced the wires and put a Delco ignition switch in(correct for his car) and he hasn't had a problem since. I hope this helps. Frank Puma #10721
Frank Puma #10721

Fairfax Cadillac

Thanks for the quick responses.  I tend to agree that the seller really doesn't know what's wrong. 

I'm going to sit tight and deal with this once I have the car.  No need to guess on what parts I might need, since people are leaning towards the ignition switch, and not the plug/socket.  But, I am really excited to be driving this baby, and thus my desire to be able to get it to good/reliable running condition ASAP.

Jim
J. Kulbaski
Fairfax Station, VA

Fairfax Cadillac

The Cadillac was delivered with the ignition switch connected to a burnt harness/plug sitting in the glove box.  A new ignition switch was connected to the burnt plug, and the old melted ignition switch was included with the car as a spare part.  The car could still drive using the old burnt out plug connected to the new ignition switch.

After searching and searching, I found American Autowire http://www.americanautowire.com/ that sold a wire harness for the ignition switch to engine for about $120.  I called, and they were willing to sell me just the plug with an 8" pigtail for $20 plugs shipping & handling.  I had the dash out to fix the instrument panel, so it was a good day to solder in the new plug.  It was a good fix at a reasonable price.

Jim

J. Kulbaski
Fairfax Station, VA