News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'76 Radio fitting

Started by LM 25575, September 09, 2010, 06:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM 25575

Hi,

some months ago I purchased an original radio/tape for my '76 Calais. The previous radio was not the correct one.
Now, I have just a 1977 Radio manual which does not cover my model, 66CFMT4 (part number 9344336-1). I was wondering if some 1977 models are about the same, talking mostly about speaker/electrical/antenna connections. The correct manual should be number 6D-1976-1 supp. 11. If someone has this manual, in case the 1977 would not work, would be so kind in sending me the correct schematic for my radio? Many many thanks.
Luca

P.s. I might look for the correct manual on ebay but would take up to one month for having it delivered in Italy.
L. Marzana
- 1949 Cadillac 62 4 door
- 1981 HD FLTC

TJ Hopland

From what I have seen on the GM stuff from when ever the stereo radios became standard till the later 80's GM had a fairly standard 3 basic connector setup with some models having a 4th and then there was the antenna wire.  If the connectors are still there it should just plug in.  The 3 plugs look more or less the same but have a key that only allows them to fit in their proper place.   If the connectors are missing its a little more work.   There was a vintage of GM radios that had the color code and connector id stamped into the metal cover. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

LM 25575

L. Marzana
- 1949 Cadillac 62 4 door
- 1981 HD FLTC

mgbeda

The Eldorados in '77 and '78 had the same dash as 74-76 DeVilles.  And the radios physically fit between the cars.  But in either '77 or '78- can't remember which- they changed from speakers with a common ground to speakers (to the body) with individual grounds.  So the '77 might have different wiring and a different connector plug.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

anastos

The first year of the individual ground was '77.
Corey Gamble
1975 Mandarin CDV

RobW

Is that the same time the amp was removed from the side of the radio?  Can't be certain but I thought that was an easy way to identify the grounded speaker setup.
Rob Wirsing

TJ Hopland

So 77 was when they started the 3 4 pin connector thing I remember?  I thought it was earlier than that.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason