News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Negative Ground

Started by Jack McClow CLC #15840, September 10, 2010, 12:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Both of my cars are in for repairs, and questions have come up for both of them I cannot answer.  My next question is for the 1957.  When last in for major service I believe the battery was re-installed backwards.  At this time the negative post is in the "back" position with the negative strap connected to the engine block.  I have been told this is incorrect, that the negative post should be at the front of the car and that the negative strap should be connected to a point somewhere under the radiator area.  If this is true, can someone please post a picture of where the negative strap should be attached?

Thanks.

Coupedeville

Hello Jack,

I have a 57 CDV and the negative terminal is at the front.
I've attached a picture for you but it doesn't show where the strap connects to.  I will be doing some work on the car tomorrow (saturday) so i will take a better pic for you.

Joe Hunt
Joe Hunt

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Joe,

Thanks so much.  A picture would be great.  I really appreciate your offer to help.

If you want to e-mail the picture my address is:  jmcclow@earthlink.net

Thanks again so much,

Jack.

Coupe

The ground strap bolts to the outside of frame just back of where the bumper brackets bolt to the front of the frame. It is directly below the battery. You can access it either from below or lift the rubber splash panels in the front of the wheel well. It should be a threaded hole. It's hard to see and harder to get a good picture.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Doug Houston

I'm not attempting to say where your battery cables reach from, to the battery. Over the years, they could easily have been replaced on several occasions.

But, where there is doubt or confusion about battery connections (on top post models), the positive post is appreciably larger in diameter than the negative post; such that the positive post clamps will be too loose to tighten onto the negative post, and the negative clamp is too small to go over the positive post.

If someone really WANTS to hook up a battery bass-ackwards, he has quite a job on his hands! 
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Steve Passmore

I thought I was reading that wrong as well Doug. I can only assume when they turned the battery they left the cables attached and turned those too??
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Thanks for all the help.  Everything is back to where it should be now.  A very kind member of the CLC sent excellent pictures in perfect detail of how things should be, battery-wise.  I sent those pictures on to my mechanic and the car was returned to me a day or so later with the battery arrangement making much more sense.  Sorry for the confusion Doug; when the mechanic put the battery back in the car after the engine rebuild he physically put in in 180 degrees in the wrong direction and then managed, somehow, to get the cables to stretch to go to where he wanted them to go.  And in the case of the negative strap he had that attached to the engine block instead of the frame of the car so that was wrong as well.  But everything is perfect now.  And again, thanks to everybody for all of your help and suggestions.

Jack.