News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 ELDORADO & FLEETWOOD HUBCAP?

Started by Jeff Wilk, September 11, 2010, 01:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Anybody know how to disassemble these Eldorado/Fleetwood hubcaps?  I've seen them apart several times but can only get the little fins/flippers off by removing the one screw on each.  I cant see how to then remove the inner portion of the hubcap.  The plastic center cap comes off easy also.  It's just the inner stainless portion (sort of like a dog bowl) that I cant remove from the full size wheel cover.  I can see that it is two pieces, and there are not connectors visible.  Compression fit?  Spring steel?  Anybody done this before?

"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

veesixteen

I have disassembled and restored a few of these in my time.  Once you have all the "fins" off, the center "cake tin" should push back out from the outer rim (it may require a few light taps with a rubber mallet, depending on the general condition of the cover).  Reassembly is simple (reverse process), but don't tighten all the fins (you may have to straighten out some of these) until you have the "cake tin" perfectly centered, then tighten opposite screws, as you would on a car wheel hub.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Jeff Wilk

That's what I thought, but now I see that this "cake tin" is spot welded in about 8 places around the edge.  I wonder if these are original or older reproductions.  Maybe one of the other did not have these spot welds.

Quote from: veesixteen on September 11, 2010, 01:52:07 PM
I have disassembled and restored a few of these in my time.  Once you have all the "fins" off, the center "cake tin" should push back out from the outer rim (it may require a few light taps with a rubber mallet, depending on the general condition of the cover).  Reassembly is simple (reverse process), but don't tighten all the fins (you may have to straighten out some of these) until you have the "cake tin" perfectly centered, then tighten opposite screws, as you would on a car wheel hub.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville