News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Alignment help needed in eastern Iowa

Started by John Royark JR, September 11, 2010, 10:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Royark JR

I have a 1949 Cadillac commercial chassis (hearse) that is in need of a front end alingment but I cant seem to find a shop that knows how to do one on this vintage car. I am willing to travel to get this done.

I also could use a source for the level action shocks (besides Kanter).

lasalle38

Apple Hydraulics is another source for shock rebuilding. As far as alignment, it is simple for anyone in the buisness. The upper control arm at the end of the shock has an ascentric that sets caster and camber. Loosen the yoke on the end of the shock and remove the grease fittings to access the ecentric by way of a hex head( allen wrench). find an old timer not one of those chain type shops, all they want to do is push out late model cars.
Art  Hawk Alpha NJ. email: lasalle38@msn.com

Otto Skorzeny

Hi John,

Click on the link below to find Apple's contact information. There is also one or two other companies on that list which restore knee action/lever action shocks.

If you have  level concrete floor in your garage you can do an alignment yourself without specialized tools.

Here are a some vids on Youtube. There are also all kinds of articles on the web describing how to do it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+align+a+car&aq=0
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

TJ Hopland

Also remember the specs in the manual were for bias ply tires.    If you are running radials you will usually want more caster.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

John Royark JR

Thanks for the help. I have the shop manual but still no one wants to touch it, and I am not very mechanically inclined.
Thanks for the tip on bias ply and radial tires as I am running radials now.

bcroe

Now is the time to get your own alignment tools.  Not so difficult on the older cars.  I've been doing mine for decades with a $20 caster-camber gauge & a level floor.  Tires wear evenly & car drives straight, what more do you want?  Current tools cost a little more.  Bruce Roe

CEC #20099

CEC  #20099
Find a heavy truck alignment or spring shop, that works on big trucks & has a gray hair old fa** doing the work. The equipment might look huge and ancient, but a lot of large rigs still use kingpins. Give him the specs & mention the radial tires. I have also aligned my 39 Buick, at home.
C.Chleboun

John Royark JR

My car drives straight and it dont look like the tires are wearing that uneven, but I only put about 4,000 miles a year on it. It is just the top of the passenger side tire seems to really lean in pretty far.