News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fulton factory sun shield instructions

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, September 12, 2010, 11:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Don Boshara #594

Tho Fulton may have manufactured sun shades for GM cars, the adjustable style shown in the instructions, to my knowledge, were never factory installed on GM cars of the '50s. The factory sunshades were fixed in place with a traffic light viewing prism mounted on top of the instrument panel.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Doug Houston

Sun shades like the Fulton ones were a popular accessory in the 1946-49 era. Keep in mind though, that a lot of accessories of all sorts were installed on cars that were delivered in those years, and which were not necessarily wanted by the buyer.

Fulton sunshades were pretty surely the best ones that were made. I remember some pretty flimsy ones, and some others that were pretty tacky looking. Probably the chief reason you'll find any of those shades any more, is that they were on cars that spent most of their days in garages, and not driven much, if at all.

But, the one thing about the sun shades, of ANYBODY'S make, is their high resistance to the air stream of the car. Stated otherwise, they play Hell with the aerodynamics of the car, and play the same thing with fuel economy.

In 1956, when I bought my 41-60S, it had a cheaper sun shade on it, and I couldn't get the thing off of the car fast enough, and into the trash can. A  Fulton one would have seen the same disposition.

Now understand; I'm neither condemning nor endorsng sun shades. Just airing my thoughts......
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929