News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Toy early 1950's ALPS made Cadillac

Started by M Steele, September 14, 2010, 10:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M Steele

I am sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but this is my first posting on this forum. We just found this tin toy Cadillac in an attic in Dallas, Texas, along with other older toys. It is marked "ALPS" and the box is marked "CADILLAC" and " THE SERIES SIXTY-TWO CONVERTIBLE". It looks to me a 1952 model. It is approx. 11 1/4" long x 4 1/2" wide. As can be seen in phots(if they come out) to be played with with the Cadillac emblem missing on front hood along with the left side headlight, scratches on bottom and a few scuffs ect. on rest of body, 1 hubcap missing and does not seem to work. Is it a 1952? And we need to sell it, as I have become disabled and can not afford to keep it. Where would be the best place to get it back into the market? Because of the condition of the toy, not mint, I thought it may be better to sell the box seperatly in case someone had a mint toy, but no box. ANY ideas would be appreciated. I have more pictures. Thankyou.

veesixteen

Hi friend, one of the holdings of the Club's Museum & Research Center is the "Cadillac Database," a free on-line resource for all Cadillac & LaSalle buffs. It contains a wide variety of topics of general interest related to these car marques including one section devoted to scale-models and toys depicting them.  You'll find your car described here.   

http://cadillacdb.planeteldorado.com/Dbas_txt/photoy50.htm

I collected Cadillac toys for years and never could afford to acquire one of these, owing to their then rarity and collectible value.  UNFORTUNATELY, the advent of the Internet has changed things dramatically. More and more people are searching Grandpa's and Grandma's attic for stuff they might sell on places like eBay and Craig's List. The rare "Alps," Series 62 Cadillac convertible pops up quite regularly on eBay, at one-third or less of the prices it commanded 30-40 years ago. The fact that you have the original box is a PLUS, but from your desccription of the toy you may be looking at a selling price around $200-300 instead of the $1200-1300 of 30 years ago.

Good luck!
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

M Steele

After some research we haqve found out quite a bit of info on this toy. This is the early version that was made by ALPS before GM inform them that they did not have the right to use the name "CADILLAC" on the toy or box. After this the toy was renamed "WADILLAC" and a "W" was the front emblem instead of the "V" on earlier versions. There has not been any offered for sale on ebay in over 3 months, and we do not know how long ago before that. We will probably offer it "AS-IS" on ebay, as we do not collect them. Thank you for your input.

veesixteen

Thank YOU for the complementary information about the "Alps" toy; I had no idea of the trouble the manufacturer had with GM over trademark or copyright issues.  I have a friend, in France, who used to make extremely fine Cadillac scale-models in 1:43 scale ... until he was invited to cease and desist. What a shame; the workmanship that went into these models is admirable.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"