News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

NOW What did I do?

Started by Derek Sherwood, September 14, 2010, 10:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek Sherwood

Yesterday I posted a link to a Youtube video of a 2009 Chevy Malibu and a 1959 Chevy Impala/Bel Air used in a 50th anniversary crash test to show the changes in automotive design and safety over the last 50 years.

While I freely admitted upon posting the link that it was not two Cadillacs used in the test, I felt that it was an important video because it shows how safety has evolved, as well as being a good reminder to be extra vigilant while out driving our classic cars.  The point was not the cars involved, but the excellent way the video showed some of the design changes that have helped cars become safer.

I would also argue that a 1959 Bel Air is materially similar to a 1959 Cadillac. 

I'm sorry if I offended someone, or broke yet another unpublished "rule" that was created to justify deleting my post, but I felt that the video was useful, tasteful, and relates to the old car hobby.  The post was signed with my first and last name, and did not violate any of the rules that I can see.  I feel it might also have brought up some interesting discussion that would have "promoted social fellowship."

Oh well.  This forum is becoming frustrating.

Derek Sherwood

Especially interesting is the fact that the discussion of the video was linked here, and allowed to stay up:

http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,107813.0.html

Thanks for making me aware of that via email.  Again, I ask, why was mine deleted?  I had not seen the earlier one.

Chris Conklin

I've had a post deleted in the past and an e-mail notification was sent explaining why. Not sure, but perhaps you didn't get notified since you are logged-in as a guest and not registered?
Chris Conklin

The Tassie Devil(le)

I was the person that deleted the message, and sent the below courtesy email to Derek Sherwood explaining why it was removed and mentioning that it had been previously posted.

The problem was that the email got bounced back to me as being undeliverable because of an incorrect email address.   The email address I used was the one which was under Derek's Guest name.

Bruce. >:D

G'day Derek,

Just a quick note to advise you that I have removed your posting regarding the crashing of the two models of Chevrolets on youtube.

This video has been posted and discussed in great detail previously, and as it does not mention anything about Cadillacs or LaSalles, it has been removed.

Trust you unsderstand.

Bruce Reynolds,
CLC # 18992,
Forum Administrator
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

On other boards I see them lock a post like that and give a link to the other thread on the same topic. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Derek Sherwood

So because it was discussed a year ago, in detail, it shouldn't be discussed again?

I respectfully ask that all posts on the HT4100 engine be deleted, as that has been discussed at length.

Also, anything involving 1959 Eldorados has been done to death, so let's delete those, too.

Bruce, I don't understand your vendetta against me, but it's very clearly obvious.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I don't have a vendetta at all, but when an email gets bounced back because it is not correct, makes me very suspicious that something is amiss, and logging on as a guest, anyone could be assuming the identity of Derek Sherwood.

PS.   The HT4100 and the '59 Eldorado are Cadillac related items.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Derek Sherwood

I took my middle initial out of the address on purpose, because despite putting NOSPAM in as a blocker, I have received dozens of Chinese spam emails since I started posting here again.

TJ Hopland

I get why many auto related boards do not have a general talk section because its difficult to keep subjects like religion and politics out.   It is nice when they do have a general auto / garage related section for questions that may not be directly related to a specific model of car or say talking about tools.    There are many times I wish this board had a general section because I know there is more experience here than several other boards combined.   Obviously I have apparently been pushing the rules because several of the threads noted above were mine, some were specifically about Cadillacs but I did not say that and looking at the rest I could have easily slid a Cadillac or two in there without really changing my question or answers,    

It may also be a little confusing the way the sections are labeled.
General Discussion
For topics of general interest/discussion.  

I never quite understood why that section is there because according to the main rules or 'mission statement' it would seem to be about the same as the technical section. 

Derek Sherwood

Yes, I wasn't singling you out TJ, sorry if it appeared that way.  I was trying to make the point in this case that Bruce singled out MY post for deletion, based on specious reasoning, yet turns a blind eye towards other posts that should by that same reasoning be deleted.

My apologies if you felt slighted.  I have always used this as a General Discussion forum as well, although apparently that is no longer the purpose.

TJ Hopland

No problem, I was pretty sure you were not picking picking on me.  I have just been asking a lot of questions lately.   

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Derek:

I am going to support Bruce in his actions here.  Being a moderator for almost four years, I have got to say I have learned a lot from Bruce.  As moderators, we often have to make judgment calls with which not everyone agrees.  That is the nature of "judgment" calls.  You seem to think that Bruce has singled you out for some reason. I have had the pleasure of speaking to Bruce in person, on the telephone, and through emails.  None of those communications would indicate that Bruce would treat you any differently than others.  I remember when this subject first arose.  I seriously considered deleting the subject since it had nothing to do with Cadillacs or La Salles. 

I do not agree that the discussion concerning the 4100 engine is completely analogous.  At least the 4100 discussion concerns a Cadillac engine.  And, as amazing as it may seem, there are a lot of people who are not aware of the issues.  That being said, I think T. J. Hopland's suggestion of locking the thread and posting a link to the previous thread bears some merit.  I will try to keep it in mind in the future.

Derek Sherwood

Bill,

Thanks for the reasoned response.  I will say, it certainly feels as though Bruce spends an inordinate amount of time cancelling my posts, as I have made probably two dozen in the last two months, of which only about 5 survive on the board.  There are others who feel the same way, and I spoke with Barry Wheeler at length on the phone a month and a half ago regarding the overly heavy-handed moderation taking place in this forum, particularly one moderator.

Seems like ANYTHING I post gets deleted.  Yet, as mentioned (and if you view those other threads I linked) there are plenty of threads not related to Cadillacs at ALL that are allowed to remain, and thrive.

I stand by my original statement:  My original post was not in violation of any rules, and Bruce 86'd it for arbitrary reasons, then gave a rather weak argument for WHY it was deleted.

Nothing against Bruce, I've spoken with him on the phone too, and in the past when we were both members I had helped him look for a '72 Eldorado.  But, I know from working with people in my job, that some people who are great to deal with in person, become tyrants when they are on the other side of a computer screen.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Derek,

I had a look at the posts you mentioned, and from what I can see, the only post that wasn't actually Cadillac-related was the last one.   Actually, I had a good laugh when I saw the pictures.

Five could have been moved to the Technical Forum, and the one on Shipping would have been okay where it was.

Believe me, I cancel and remove a good, or should that read, a bad number of posts by people, both Members and Guests, and especially when an email gets sent back as being undeliverable from anyone, I have no hesitation in deleting that post, and in numerous cases, I ban the Poster from posting any more.   

The Administrators are Banning on the average, around 4 attempts a day to join the Forum, and before any banning is done, checks are made on a number of parameters, and if any one of those parameters are dubious, the ban goes ahead.

The Administrators always notify a Member if their posting has been removed, and why, at the time of removal.   Your original posting was removed, and the email I sent to you explaining, nicely I thought, bounced back.

Lastly, we receive many apologetic emails from Members who have "Transgressed".

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe