News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

75 Eldorado COnvertible swimming pool

Started by Jeff Wilk, September 19, 2010, 01:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Well, I really really really washed down my car today and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed the top.  Car looks great.  Only probelm is that when I opened the doors i found two simming pools in my back seat floor areas with water coming out of the car?  Is there some sort of drainage system for the convertible storage area that might be blocked?  I cant imagine that this all came in from small weather stripping leaks.  For now I am wading in style 8-)
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dave Shepherd

There are body drains in both 1/4's under the side glasses, I would get in the car and have some one water it down to see what is what, you should pull the carpets and dry them and you may have to replace the padding under the rug. ( water test after the carpet is out)

Rich S

Jeff, I'm sorry to hear of your problem. When I replaced the original top on my '71 Eldorado Convertible, I had water leaking into the trunk and roof well upon washing the car (which was not occurring with the original top.) Upon inspection, it was the way the replacement top had been attached below the rear window--there is a bow that lies under the rear body in that area, and that had to be replaced due to corrosion and the top should be attached to it. Although the roof shop did a beautiful job with the first top (but had attached it incorrectly there,) they had to install an all new top with the correct non-corroded bow under the body in that area, and towards the front, it just is not as nice as that first attempt. You may want to investigate for a similar situation. There have been no problems with leaks since it was corrected. Good luck!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

TJ Hopland

On mine the top does not contact the edge around the trunk.  Its not a problem when driving in the rain but sitting its pretty bad.   I think there are drains that are supposed to take care of the normal leakage there but if there is a gap its just too much for them.    Also take a look inside the the rear window area.  Mine usually fill up there too.  Took a while to figure it out.  Use to hear a sloshing sound. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TonyZappone #2624

Find and remove the rubber plugs under the rear quarters.  The water will run out.  Flush the quarters out well and let them dry.  Problem solved.  When this first happened to me when the '76 I had was new, it scared me to death, rugs soaked and all.   I think there are some other drains in the rockers, they must get plugged.  Remove these rubber plugs for the solution.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Dave Shepherd

Hey Tony, Dave Shepherd, we met at the Queensbury car show, you had your gorgeous 47 conv. that day, we spoke of the "old" GM dealership days.

TonyZappone #2624

David:   It was fun talking to an old Cadillac factory man.  Hope to see you at a show before we go South. 
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Dave Shepherd

We will be at Granville this weekend and Ballston Spa, 10/10, hope to see . Shep