News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 Series 62 CDV Radial Tyre Size

Started by Coupedeville, September 16, 2010, 05:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupedeville

Hello Guys,

I'm considering replacing my bias plys with radials. I have been advised that eiither 235 75 R15 may fit and if not  225 75 R15 should fit.
My questions are,
1. Has anyone here with a 57 model fitted radials? and if yes
2. What size did you go for?
and
3. Were/are there any problems with fit?
4. If so what were the problems encountered?

Also the tyres i'm considering are American Classics which don't seem to be mentioned in the old threads regarding  www radials whereas Coker and Diamondback are mentioned frequently. Anyone with experience of American Classics?

The cost of a set of 5 radilal whitewalls here in the UK is around $1600 so i'd like to avoid making an erroneous decision

Many thanks in advance

Joe Hunt
Joe Hunt

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Joe ,
   I purchased a set of 4 American Classic Radials 235 75R 15 with the 3 inch white wall .  I am very happy with them , they handle very well , I just was out driving in a terrible rain storm about 2 hours ago . They hold the road very well .  I think your price is really high .  I paid under 900 US Dollars  for a set installed on Saber wheels .  I have included a Photo. Then i am going to post a message about my fuel pump . check it out .
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bill,

The problem with us living overseas is that things cost us more.

Wish we could pay the same price for fuel that you can get it for. ;)   Poor Joe and anyone else in the Continent and England are being held to ransom on their fuel costs.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Coupedeville

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

I have read that on some models the 235 tyre may rub in the wells when on full lock. Has this been a problem for you?
Also read that some times a good seal isn't possible and that inner tubes have to be used.
The price i'm paying doesn't include fitting as i'm purchasing them from a distributor. None of the tyre fitting shops supply www tyres.
Next problem will be getting them fitted correctly, more worries!!

Your fuel pump problem was sorted by the time i looked, well done.

Bruce,
Your not wrong about the fuel!!!!!
Joe Hunt

Coupedeville

Joe Hunt

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks

I have a 53 and a 56 Coupe Deville and have found that the bigger radials, while extremely nice,
the rear tires do not like to be installed, or worse when one has a flat come out. The are to fat.

So instead, I ordered a set of 225 for the 53, an inch shorter than the 235, but one can get the rear tires out easily.

My story, have not installed yet, got the rear window hydraulic window installed, the frame broke, so am waiting for new carpets from Jenkins.

Will then install new radials on wire whees and see how the car handles.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Joe ,
   I have Saber wheels Two piece construction, Aluminum riveted to steel . No Tubes , never had a leak . And never had a clearance proplem or rubbing of any Kind . Joe, I dont mean to rub it in but here is the receipt for my tires . good luck
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Coupedeville

Hello Bill,

Thanks for info, it is really appreciated.

When i looked at the Coker web site the tyre price was very similar to what you paid. The problem i have is that shipping to the UK was a further $685!!Plus upon arrival in the UK i would be charged a further 30% of the total value in vat & handling charges pushing the total cost towards the $2200 mark. So although $1600 is expensive it's the most cost effective way at the moment :'(

Thanks again for your reply

Joe Hunt
Joe Hunt

Coupedeville

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

North Hants are who i was going to use and as i am going to buy set of 5 they offered a 10% discount over the phone which i believe is the same as online.

Makes me feel a little more at ease knowing others are using these tyres without problems.

Thanks again
Joe Hunt
Joe Hunt