News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Front upper control arm bushings install

Started by CarlSpackler, September 20, 2010, 07:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlSpackler

I am replacing my front upper control arm bushings - my question is when they are installed, what is the site of the control shaft to bushing joint that rotates when the control arm moves once installed? Is it metal to metal on the metal tube that is the inside of the bushing that presses onto the shaft, or does the rubber insulator rotate on the metal of the bushing? When I removed mine the metal tube that is suppose to be inside the bushing stuck on the shaft, and I had to remove that after the main bushing came off by soaking in lubricant to unfreeze it. The new bushings - the rubber does not obviously move before installation.  When I test install the new bushings on the shaft it appears they will fit very tight on the control shaft and I am wondering if I should sand down the shaft so the bushings go on easier or is this the way it should be - very tight?

Thanks for any advice/experience.

I am working on a 1962 Cadillac convertible but I presume the bushings work the same on multiple years.
60th Anniversary 1962 Eldorado Biarritz

Gunga Galunga

Dave Shepherd

The shaft moves in the inner sleeve of the bushing not the rubber, the fit should be smooth no bind, also do not tighen the end bolts till the car is on the ground at ride height.

CarlSpackler

60th Anniversary 1962 Eldorado Biarritz

Gunga Galunga