News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 Throttle return spring

Started by CarlSpackler, September 21, 2010, 11:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlSpackler

My 1962 Rochester Carb has the throttle return spring set up modified and I am trying to get it back to stock. I can not find a picture or info in  my service manual about the proper set up and I do not have another car in area to compare.

Mine is currently an aftermarket spring going to the upper PS pump at a modified non stock attachment - I believe the spring is supposed to be attached near the thermostat housing (to a bracket?) that is not present on my car currently?

Does anyone have picture of what an original throttle return spring looks like and how it is suppose to be attached at the engine in a 1962 Cadillac ?

Thank you.

JD

jdziu@hotmail.com
60th Anniversary 1962 Eldorado Biarritz

Gunga Galunga

35-709

I thought I had a picture of the return spring setup but cannot find it.  You are correct, there should be a small "L" shaped bracket with a small hole for the spring end under the left rear bolt (driver's side) holding the thermostat housing.  I have seen many cars with the 390 with oddball return spring setups, including my '60 when I first got it.  As well as all of the '60s I looked at trying to find the correct setup.  That little angle bracket apparently gets lost or tossed when the thermostat is changed by a non-Cadillac experienced mechanic who just bolts the thermostat housing back down forgetting about the return spring bracket and then starts the head scratching "now where did this return spring go" hunt that results in some weird spring hookups.  Maybe someone else here can snap a picture of the correct setup.
Geoff N.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

quadfins

JD

I just sent you 4 pics - they should be what you need. If you'd like any others, let me know.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4