News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 Oil level indicator (dipstick) length

Started by CarlSpackler, September 21, 2010, 12:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlSpackler

Need an original dip stick oil level indicator for 1962 Cadillac and someone has offered to sell me an original dip stick but they are not sure if it came from a 1961 or 1962 - What is the proper length of a 1962 indicator? The parts manual I have says the oil level indicator is specific for 1962 and all other years are different.

-JD

jdziu@hotmail.com
60th Anniversary 1962 Eldorado Biarritz

Gunga Galunga

Dan LeBlanc

I have one of each.  If I get a chance, I'll scoot out and compare the two to see if there are any differences.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

CarlSpackler

Gunga Galunga

Jeffrey Burland

While the master parts catalog does give a separate part number for the '62, it also states the same length from the bottom tip to the top of the cap as 22-1/8" for 1957, 1959 and 1960. 1961 is 22-3/4". Here's the section from the book.
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

CarlSpackler

Thanks - that helps

I guess the part number difference indicates that the design of the indicator must look different for 62, compared to those other years.

Gunga Galunga

Dan LeBlanc

Interesting.  I'll have to take a look see why the difference for 1961 when I drop my oil pan to change the gasket.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

David Greenburg

Length may not be the only difference; the location of the add/full marks could vary as well.  Its interesting that it says the '59 and '60 use the same stick, as I have a stick I removed from a parted '60 and its is a slightly different length and also says "capacity 11 qts" whereas the stick for my '59 says "capacity 12 qts." And the add/full marks are in a slightly different place. Maybe somebody put the wrong stick in the '60.  I'll have to measure it.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Dave,

Sounds like you might have the Dipstick for the Transmission, and not the engine.

The Engine holds 5 Quarts.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

CarlSpackler

Would appreciate if someone who has a 62 with an original indicator if they could measure to confirm if chart length (22 1/8" top of cap to tip) is correct.

Bill Bradley a parts guy checked some in his yard and says they do not measure correct - now I am wondering if the chart is right.

Thanks

Gunga Galunga

R Schroeder

I should think if you drained the oil ,and filled with proper amount, then check with your stick to see what it reads, you would know if you have the right one in there.
Roy

CarlSpackler

Gunga Galunga

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

I finally found a '62 dipstick and will measure it.  What I need, however, is the length of the dipstick tube.  Mine is missing, so the dipstick doesn't seat correctly.  If you measure your tube I'll measure my dipstick (!)