News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

LaSalle engine back from motor shop - any tips on putting it back together?

Started by Jim Beard, September 23, 2010, 04:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Beard

I got my motor back from the shop today. Anybody have any tips for me before I go putting it back together? I had the motor shop do the rotating assembly and I have to do the rest.  Can I reuse the head bolts? Any help would be appreciated, I want to put it together correctly once, I hate doing things twice.

Dave Shepherd

Head bolts should be ok, unless you see some that are necked down, tap out all the bolt hole threads, use the proper assy lube, make sure to break it in with ZDDP supplement or oil. with ZDDP. check all the bearing cleances, pay attention to ring end gaps, use the proper torqing sequences all around, just to name few basics.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Jim,

The best bet is to go to the RMRCLC web page and read Walt Brewers articles on rebuilding these engines. They were also printed in the Self Starter, if you have the back issues.

These will help you putting the engne back together.

The johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Jim Beard

OK thanks I will check it out.

Andrew Pullin

Well, if you figure it out, take lots of pictures along the way and post them. I'll be getting back my engine from the machine shop in a few weeks, and I'll be in the same boat!

Although it looks like the valve train and lifter assemblies are already in place? That's the parts that's got me worried.
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/