News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Right side door mirror, Convex glass swap?

Started by 76eldo, September 26, 2010, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

I would like to change the glass portion of the passenger side rear view door mirror on my 76 Eldorado so that it is actually useful.

Any ideas on swapping the glass, swapping to a different exact fit mirror, or stick-on replacement glass?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Brian,

Try the Caravan/Motor Home dealers for those aftermarket mirror adapters.

You may have trouble cutting one down to size, but a good glazier will have the tools to grind it down to the perfect size.

Another way is to take a template of your mirror, and scrounge the wrecking yards for a passenger side mirror of roughly the same size, buy it, remove the convex mirror and trim that down to size.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

At one time the dealer had a replacement convex mirror.  It was just the glass with double sided tape on the back and was designed to replace the broken original glass. 

I bought one and stuck it on the right hand outside mirror of my ’68 ELDO.  It works great and looks original. 

So with that in mind I would check with an Auto glass shop to see if they have anything. 

Glen   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

J I Garner CLC # 23406

My Cadillac does not have a RH mirror, but I have a 1952 mercedes 300 with a round RH mirror. I found a convex mirror the correct diameter at a truckers store and it works great. I attached it with two faced tape.
Jim