News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 transmission oil leaking

Started by Tom Kelly, September 30, 2010, 10:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Kelly

I know this topic has come up before and I did a search but could find nothing. I am having the problem of transmission oil leaking out from around the shifter of my transmission. I guess the oil foams up and comes out the shifter tower. I did some searching on the internet and saw that some of the SYNTHETIC 90w oils say that they are non-foaming. Has anyone tried this as a fix for this? Also what do you think about marine lower unit oils, they are 90w and non-foaming as the housings are sealed with no vents. The car is a '37 7019.
Just an idea.

Fred Pennington 25635

You might look in to LUCAS Oil Stabilizer. It makes the oil stick to the parts and not sling of about the case.
You can find there displays at most parts stores
Would be allot cheaper than changing to synthetic and some say synthetic will leak in places that conventional oils don't

Fred P.
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Tom,

The top shifter has a cover held on with two screws. Underneath this is the housing. Originally there was a cork gasket to seal the cover so no oil leaked past it. These, of course, dried up. One needs to take this apart (not a fun job) and find a correct "O" ring that will fit in the grove on the transmission - an importantly - not roll our when one puts the cover back on.

Done successfully the leak will stop. Has nothing to do with the oil used, but be advised use 90 weight, the new stuff will come out of the pores on these old transmissions.

The Johnny

Oh if you want a picture of the transmission with the cover off and the grove on the top shifter. SEND ME AN E-MAIL, and will send a picture. If you reply to the post I may not see it for awhile.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Tom Kelly

I just don't remember a groove where an o-ring goes, but it has been a few years since I have had the shifter out. I sent you am e-mail, Thanks

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Tom,

Sent you 3 pictures on Friday of the grove and such????

Did you not receive? Did not get a rejection?

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series