News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 generator identification

Started by Christian Aicher, October 02, 2010, 06:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian Aicher

Hi guys,

The generator on my car (with factory A/C) started to make noise. I assume the front bearing is giving out. When I purchased the car, it came with a rebuild spare generator but the seller wasn't sure if the spare was from a non-A/C car or from a car with A/C.
Per manual the non-A/C generator has a bushing in the front, whereas the A/C one has a ball bearing in the front.

Is there a way to identify the generator (spare has no Delco tag) with external clues or do I have to open it?

Can the bearings in the generator be replaced without special tools and hydraulic press?

Thanks,
Christian Aicher
1958 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan
1958 Buick Super Riviera

Dave Shepherd

The bearing is usually in the end frame and may need a small puller to get it out.  You may be able to get the bearing for your original gen, once it is out Napa can  match it up.