News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Found some inexpensive 75 R series ww tires

Started by TJ Hopland, October 04, 2010, 10:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I dont sell tires or work for any tire company, just pointing out that they are out there.

They are made by Cooper.   Appear to be sold at all sorts of smaller dealers all over the USA.   Only a 3/4 inch white wall but its better than black wall or LT tires with the white letters.

http://www2.deantires.com/html/products/tires_passenger.aspx?page=dean_tires_passenger_alpha_365

Anyone that has looked for a 75 series tire lately has found that they are pretty rare especially in a white wall.   Its even worse since most of us are not putting on the miles so the tires just end up rotting.  That make it really hard to cough up $200 each from a classic tire vendor knowing that you wont be wearing them out and still replacing them in 10 or so years.   Been thinking of new tires for the 73 which are not worn but look like they are perhaps having some internal issues (these were expensive goodyears).  Finally got the new 80 running well enough to drive anywhere and figured the bald rear tires had to go. Was at my local Mills Fleet Farm (a little bigger than a typical fleet and farm) and saw a white wall tire on display so I figured I might as well get a quote and see how long it will take to get the tires.   Find out that in my size they are $54 each and in stock.  Come back in and hour and have em installed.   Have not put many miles on them yet but so far have not noticed any difference in ride quality.  I had 2 goodyears and 2 that appear to also be a Cooper brand so perhaps that is why they seem the same.

I have gone back and fourth on expensive and inexpensive tires and have not found any consistency between them.  I have had some cheapos that have been all around great and I have had some expensive tires that have been crap.   Overall I am leaning to the inexpensive ones because overall those have been good to me.  Another bonus is the inexpensive ones are often the ones that are sold by smaller and independent shops so its nice to be able to give them the business. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

okccadman

I have been extremely pleased with the Herculese 235 75 15 whitewalls on my 96 Brougham and the 67 Sedan de Ville I sold.  They are based in the Southeast US and are very reasonably priced.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

kelly

I recently searched for tires for my 64' Olds Starfire. Needed 225 75 R 14 whitewall. No such luck. Had to settle for 215 75 R 14. Those were from Hankook.  The last big tires I bought for the 57 Fleetwood 75 were  235 75 R 15 WW, made by ?? called Broadway Classics. Nice tires, $ 390 mounted and balanced through Belle Tire.
Kelly
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

TJ Hopland

The FR380 was one I had seen before but I think I was quoted $90 per tire not installed and no one had them in stock.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

R Schroeder

Tires Plus by me had them. I also thought that Sears was a dealer for them.

Greg Powers

I have just attended a regional meeting with Michelin tire dealers and the Michelin folks feel that whitewalls are a niche market that they are willing to ignore with the exception of a few sizes in the narrow-whitewall Symmetry. Uniroyal is phasing out all white-side walls,B.F.Goodrich is doing the same and Michelin will continue with a few sizes in the Symmetry (No 225/75r15, 235/70r15, or 235/75r15).  The only domestic brand tire, which could have actually come on the vehicle, is the Firestone 380 available in the 225/75r15 and 235/75r15 whitewall. Cooper builds the Trendsetter SE in a 225/75r15 and 235/75r15 whitewall, Kumho builds the Solus KR21 in a 225/75r15, 235/75r15 and a 235/75r15XL in a white wall, and Hankook builds the Mileage Plus II H724 in the 225/75r15 and the H725 in the 235/70r15(correct size for the last Fleetwoods 1993-1996) and 235/75r15 in whitewall.  The Firestones, Coopers and Hankooks are S-rated and the Kumhos are T-rated. I am currently using the Firestone FR380 on my 1990 Brougham, but the Hankook is probably the smoothest riding of the group. Unfortunately most others have kicked us to the curb. Good luck in your selections. - Greg 
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

TMoore - NTCLC

I just put a set of the Hankooks on my 1994 Fleetwood (retired a set of Coopers that were 7+ years old, and one of the tires had started to bulge, even though the tires were wearing very nicely).  The Hankook tires seem to have a lot of meat on them, and they have an 80,000 mileage rating, so hopefully they will hold up well

I am sure it is just me, but it would appear that the Hankook whitewall is closer to the rim than the Cooper was - sure beats heck out of blackwall.  Hopefully there will still be a few mainstream companies that will continue to produce these so that we don't have to resort to buying from the classic tire vendors for our daily drivers.

tmoore