News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Couoe de Ville -early or late model ???

Started by Caddy Daniel, October 07, 2010, 10:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Daniel

Hello everybody.
I've got a 1957 Coupe de Ville and for parts they ask if it's an early or late 1957 model ???
My VIN number is 5762058012 .... Early or late 57' model, I don't know, can anybody help me ?
Many thanks

Daniel Koppes

Coupe

You have the "late"model if the vin and engine # are the same. According to my information, at engine # 043297 changes were made to the lifters and push rods. The lifters were a little taller and the push rods shorter. I have been told that at some time in '57 the front sprague in the transmission was changed. I have also heard the sprague was changed for '58. Those are the only differences that I am aware of. Be sure to verify your engine # if ordering parts for the valve train. "Late" lifters can be used in an early engine as long as the "late" push rod is used and vice versa.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

J Kjerrulf

Most of the mid-year changes to the transmission appears to have been made during model year of 1956. Have found the following changes on series 60, 62 with the 300hp engine during 1957:

Shift valve body + spacer channel plate to valve bodies: After C-16406
Front oil pump sprag assy: After C-63548
Coupling valve body + plate channel: After C-64695

If your 1957 has air contitioner it still may be considered kind of "early" - Serviceman supplement of August 15 1956 mentions a six bladed fan for cars equipped with A/C and a history of overheating. This six bladed fan was replaced on "later" 1957 models. (series 60, 62) but in use at least until around #57-43000. I believe "later" A/C cars doesn't have the 4-ribbed crank pulley either.

Anyone with a different opinion please clarify :)

J Kjerrulf

/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

Daniel Koppes

This helps !!! Thanks a lot everybody for your answers !!
Daniel