News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

LaSalle II Roadster

Started by Charles D. Barnette, October 07, 2010, 01:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles D. Barnette

I have just been informed by the Bortz Auto Collection that Mr. Joe Bortz having successfully completed the restoration of the 1955 Motorama Chevrolet Biscayne will now turn his attention to the next restoration phase of the 1955 LaSalle II Roadster! This is good news indeed, and I cannot wait to see this Motorama Roadster fully restored. This car along with the 1955 LaSalle II Sedan was proof that GM had in place V6 technology in 55 but chose to shelve it allowing the foreign car companies to successfully market it first. It was in essence the road not taken! My hat is off to Joe, and I wish him good luck in restoring this masterpiece! Charles D. Barnette-oh yes the two LaSalle IIs got the side coves before Corvette did!

Charles D. Barnette

Please be also advised that when the restoration is completed, it is my understanding the 1955 LaSalle II Roadster will be MOBILE! This car is one of my favorite Motorama cars second only to the 1956 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham Town Car. By the way the Town Car is still owned by the O'Quinn Estate in Houston, Texas. It probably will remain in their possession for at least another year. Charles D. Barnette

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Charles,
That is good news. Am I to understand that Bortz has one of those V-6 motors? Also, you have to remember the catch phrase in 1955. 6 in a row don't go. I'm sure that would have been said for a V6 also.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Charles D. Barnette

Bob and Tim I am going to let Joe reveal on his own timetable how the Roadster will be made mobile. A "You Tube" video of what is being done will be available shortly. Stay tuned! The drama around Motorama cars is endless! Charles D. Barnette-it is my understanding that the 1953 Cadillac LeMans (car no. 3 and serial number 04) is no longer on display at the AACA Museum as of last month-where will it show up next in public?

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

The 3800 V6  rear wheel drive powertrain from a 1999-2002 Camaro  would fit perfect under that body,  This was the Buick 90 degree V6 with a balance shaft, not the 60 degree Chevy V6.   With 235 Hp and 230 ft-lbs of torque and either a manual or automatic transmission It would be a simple installation.

Charles D. Barnette

The video has been posted. Drop everything and go immediately to this You Tube site herein. Let me say i support Joe 100% in the way he is restoring this piece of history. All is revealed at http://www.youtube.com/user/RideswithChuck. Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

Now that I have the link posted to the video I can come back to earth and discuss the important aspects of this video. First yes the car is going electric to keep it from being a pushmobile only. However the original motor is where it should be and originally had no internal working parts. Restoring what the Motorama attendees saw is the most important aspect of the restoration process. I think Joe is acting wisely and prudently. To be able to watch with Joe in seeing the underside of the car for the first time is a rare treat. Also to learn that the LaSalle II Sedan will be next after the roadster to be restored makes me very happy as a student of the Motorama. From this video we see very plainly the craftsmanship that went into the making of the futuristic dream cars of the GM Motoramas.  Joe Bortz is a Motorama hero! It will take just under two years to restore the roadster. Please also see the article I wrote in the January 2002 Self-Starter issue on both LaSalle IIs. Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

Before this thread lapses out of the limelight, like John The Baptist crying out in the wilderness I want to make one more heartfelt appeal to the club to help find 2 missing Cadillac Motorama treasures. Rumors still persist that the 1953 Cadillac Orleans (serial number 01 for the 53 Cad model year) and the first Cadillac Eldorado Brougham [1955] still exist. I feel in my bones that the Orleans is still in California. Finding the 1955 EB would really be like a resurrection from the dead (a real Halloween trick I know)! Let us resolve (like Secretariat's owner-I just saw this great movie) to locate these great archeological bonanzas before the restoration of the 1955 LaSalle II Roadster is completed in 2012! One final comment on the Bortz "You Tube" video cited herein on this thread is that the video helps shine a bright light on the many mysteries connected to the great Motoramas (1949 to 1961) of GM. (The Corvette people claim this roadster as part of their history as well, but it really belongs more to us. One might say that the histories of LaSalle and Corvette intersect each other with this little two seater. Who would have thought that possible when LaSalle production stopped in 1940?) Charles D. Barnette  

Charles D. Barnette

Here is a second "You Tube" site which features both the 1955 LaSalle II Roadster and Sedan. One day they will both be displayed together again in their original glory! Please see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWhjxCkw-34. Charles D. Barnette

Charles D. Barnette

Here is the latest You Tube video on the historic restoration of the 1955 LaSalle II Roadster taped on November 5, 2010, at Pioneer Conversions in Lemont, Illinois. See http://www.youtube.com/user/RideswithChuck

Davidinhartford

Thanks for the update!     ;D

Jim Thompson

1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

Charles D. Barnette

Mr. Bortz has just brought to my attention the posting of two more videos on Youtube of the restoration of the 1955 LaSalle II Roadster. In video Part Three you see the actual installation of the electric motor to power the vehicle! In video Part Four you see Mr. Bortz actually driving this Motorama Masterpiece! No more a pushmobile only, She 's Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watching these two video presentations is good therapy for all of us. Please see www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpoIJ4Ymepc  and  
www.youtube.com/watch?v=L47MACWnGIk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL   Charles D. Barnette

Davidinhartford

That's great!    I think we have alot more episodes to go before we see it with new paint and trim, working brakes and lamps.  But what a treat when we do.

Charles D. Barnette

Please see this article which stated the LaSalle IIs were originally intended to be electric vehicles! Charles D. Barnette- See www.wired.com/autopia/2010/12/gm-motorama-concept-car-brought-back-as-an-ev/