News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Cruise Control

Started by Vsixteen, October 12, 2010, 12:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vsixteen

Hi Guys
I was wondering if the 59 Cruise controls work and are usable? Is it something I can add to my car and use everytime I drive my car?

Also would a 1960 Cruise be the same as a 59? Also what pieces do I need, I know that the speedo cables are different, the neutral safety switch is different. Do I need a different wiring harness?

Please advise

Thanks

Steve
1958 Coupe De Ville
1958 Sedan De Ville
1958 Convertible
1959 Convertible CLC Senior & AACA Senior

quadfins

I scavenged a 1962 CC system and fitted it onto my '61. I use it ALL the time - it truly is one of the most useful accessories I have, second only to the power windows. Of course, this only applies if you will be driving your car, as I suppose you will be.

'59 - 62 CC systems are very similar in their operation and mechnicals. The trick is to get all of the components. Mine is reliable and holds speed like a rock!

I can't get into all of the operational details right now, but I'll be happy to work with you. I also have pics and I can describe the mechanicals to you.

Feel free to email or call - the number is in the "technicians" section, and I am on east coast time.

Do it - well worth it!

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

P Cedergren

My 1960 has a functional cruise control.

I think the cruise control works just about as well as any modern cruise control, but engaging it is a bit more complicated.

You have to press on the throttle until you feel "some back pressure", then pull the cruise control knob to get it to engage.
To adjust the speed you need to turn the knob, which is not a very precise movement.

I installed my cruise control years ago, and I don't remember any difference in the wiring harness. 
And the only difference between 1959 and 1960 that I am aware of is the shape of the cruise control knob.

All in all I find it a very useful option to have.

(As opposed to the Autronic Eye, which in my humble opinion is completely useless.
The passenger side mirror looks great, but is also useless as far as functionality.?

Per C. 4218

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

My 59 also has a functional cruise control.  However, I do not use it often since most of my driving is local.  I don't even use the cruise control on my "driver" very often.

PS  You have email. 

william_b_noble

my 59 has working cruise control, but I very rarely use it - my regular driver has cruise also, I think I used it twice in 150,000 miles - it's all how you want to drive
Bill N - clc # 2371