News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hydraulic wheel dollies - which to buy ?

Started by Scott Anderson CLC#26068, October 20, 2010, 04:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

I'd like to move my car towards the side of my garage for working on it during the off season up here in rainy Western Washington; so, I find myself in the market for a set of hydraulic wheel dollies.

I'm am interested if anyone has any advice about them to share and don't know anyone who has them.

Searching around on the web I see 'Go Jack' brand is highly thought of - and priced accordingly. Others are available for less.

Normally I'm a 'one gets what they pay for' sort and I'm not a cheapskate. But on the other hand I'm not running a restoration shop and so I hope I can get some that might be good enough for my use at $4-500 instead of twice that.

TIA for any opinions or thoughts that could be helpful.
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

76eldo

Don't go with the large Harbor Freight ones.  I found them very hard to use.  Smaller aluminum ones worked really well for a friend of mine.  The ones that go around the tire and jack up look pretty nice too.

brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Thank you Brian.

Re your last sentence, were the Harbor Freight ones you had poor luck with the hydraulic kind?  I'm definately wanting the hydraulic kind, that goes around the tire jacks the vehicle up without any other point of contact.

Scott

Herman Desser

I have used the Harbor Freight Hydraulic ones for nearly 5 years now and although a little heavy for the price cant be beat.  They7 go on sale every once in a while and that is when you should buy them

Herman
clc19416

76eldo

I had difficulty getting the wheels to not bind up when swiveling.  Mine were the non-hydro type.  Perhaps they just aren't made for a 1960 Biarritz in mind, but it was tough for 2 men to try to move the car around.

brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Thanks for the clarification 76Eldo, and it helps me to justify the hydraulic type.

Herman, you've got email.

- Scott

Classic

I few notes about "skates":
1.   They don't work well on rough floors.
2.   They work great on smooth, level floors
3.   Once you get your 5000 lb. car moving, however, it will want to stay moving (Newton's First Law of Motion).  Be sure your able to stop it before it crashes into another of your pride & joys, etc..  This is a significant concern on smooth but slanted floors or driveways.  Gravity is a substantial force.
4.   It is always helpful to have a 2nd person handy to help.

Gene Menne
CLC #474

Jim Beard

I have used the GOJAK ones before and they work well. But if you are in an area like me where your car is laid up for half the year you might as well save your money and get the old school type of skates that you jack up the car and put under the tire, you will only be doing it twice a year, I can jack a car and skate it almost as fast as the tire pinchers. Don't get me wrong the tire pinchers are great if you have multiple cars up and down all the time but I do not thinkthey are worth the money to use twice a year and if you have cars with fat tires you will pay extra for the wide ones.

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Thanks Classic, some good thoughts. My garage floor is a little rough as it has an epoxy paint with the color chips in it. No problem for rolling normally but with solid wheels and that much weight it might be interesting.

Jim, appreciate your perspective also. The car is laid up half the year here as yours is although my garage space is a bit more limited than I read about yours in the restoration forum posts you've made. I enjoy following your progress!

- Scott