News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Looking for correct mirror glass for 1956 rear view mirror day/night.

Started by carguyblack, November 01, 2010, 03:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

Can anyone direct me to where I can find the original style wedge mirror glass for day/night mirrors from the mid 50's? I have a couple of good rear view frames with bad glass that I was hoping to replace. I know these mirrors are reproduced in their entirety but I don't know about just the glass. all the local people only have flat plate mirror glass, not the wedge style. Thanks! Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Roger Zimmermann

Chuck, if you can open the mirror to have the glass alone, you can resilver it and reinstall. I did that one one of my cars.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carguyblack

One mirror is intact and the other is cracked and ker-chunked. How does one go about "re-silvering"?
I wonder if a place like McVey who reproduces things like these would have a source for just the replacement mirror?
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

J. Gomez

Chuck,

Have you looked at using the glass piece from one that is available from a part store? I would think they use the same wedge-shape glass and have a glass shop cut and trim it to your frames.   Just a suggestion..!

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have had good results with my local glazier trimming late-model day-night mirror glass to fit older housings.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

CEC #20099

Day/nite Glass
The Tassie Devil has got the best suggestion. High Class dimming mirrors in the 50`s have POLARIZED GLASS that is dimmer when slightly tilted. I have pulled many flat glass mirrors from cars & replaced entire mirror assy with a polarized one.They work great, but the glass has an Up & Down. You have to get it right.
When the stupid autodimming electronic mirror in my 90 SDV falls off once more, in goes a polarized flip mirror. Always works.
c.chleboun  #20099

carguyblack

I took the advice and went to a cheap aftermarket supplier after all. I found a day/night feature mirror at a local Advanced Auto for $14 and carefully removed the mirror portion. It was the original style wedge shape glass with nearly the exact shape. I need to take it to the glass shop to get just a smidge polished off each side and it should fit great. Can't believe it was this easy.
Nobody sells this type mirror within the old car societies anywhere that I could find and here it is right next door to me for less than $15! Who knew?! Thanks for pointing me there! Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE