News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

clicking noise

Started by Chad Oolman, November 02, 2010, 12:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Oolman

I am trying to take care of some final details on my 1959 Cadillac restoration before it goes to the upholstery shop. One of the issues has been very hard to pin point.  As the car slows down, such as at a stop sign or turning in the driveway, I can hear a "clicking" noise.  The noise is directly related to the speed of the car.  As I speed up, the noise stops, usually around 10-15 miles per hour.  It is very constant, every time I slow down to stop or turn, the noise starts again.

At first I thought it was my speedo cable, I greased it, then I replaced it, then I disconnected it completely.  The noise was still there.  So I am fairly certain that it is not the speedometer or the cable.

I also had the transmission rebuilt.  There were several minor issues, and I felt that it would be best to have it completely gone through.  In the back of my mind I was hoping that this "clicking" noise would go away as well, but it did not.

I have also noticed that when I do come to a complete stop, the noise is still there.  If I put the car in park and the idle kicks up, the noise goes away.

Any ideas guys?

Roger Zimmermann

Many years ago, I had a similar problem. With a friend, we came to the conclusion that the clicking noise came from the transmission, but what?
I drove some years with that car ('56 Sedan de Ville) and one day, when I went away from my garage, I heard cling, cling cling! very loud, but I saw nothing bouncing back on the road (the speed was low). I had to stop at an intersection and then, the transmission stayed in first speed. Came back "home"; I had forward and reverse, but just the first speed in the forward range.
After dissassembly of the transmission, I found the culprit: the weight screwed on the governor went away. Without that weight, no upshift.
If the people who rebuilt the transmission overlooked that detail (the weight is screwed on the shaft and must be tight), the overhaul was for nothing.

Good luck!

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dadscad

("I have also noticed that when I do come to a complete stop, the noise is still there.  If I put the car in park and the idle kicks up, the noise goes away.")

By this statement, this should eliminate any drive line component that only rotates when the car is in motion.

Approximately where is the noise coming from, front of car, firewall area or low behind the firewall? Under the intake manifold, around the exhaust manifolds/pipe? A small exhaust leak will produce a click noise. Could be a cracked intake, burned out choke heat tube or leaky gaskets, intake or exhaust, cracked heat riser.

Have you disconnected all the engine accessory belts, A/C, generator, PS pump, and run the engine? If no click with out the belts rotating, then attach one at a time to see if/when the click returns?

Good luck,
David

Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

When you say "I have also noticed that when I do come to a complete stop, the noise is still there.  If I put the car in park and the idle kicks up, the noise goes away it sounds like it is something to do with the Transmission.

Get yourself a 6 foot length of Garden Hose, and with one end up to your ear, move the other end around the engine bay and transmission and you will eventually hear the ticking getting louder.   Move the hose end to the loudest point, and the fault will be there.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   At least using the hose, if it gets caught up in any moving parts, only that will get hurt.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV