News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1991 SDV heater issues

Started by okccadman, November 05, 2010, 10:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okccadman

The heat in my 91 SDV is very testy.  When the air does start blowing warm, it does it for a whilethen fluctuates back and forth hot/cold hot/cold.  Anyine else had similar issues?
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

TJ Hopland

Checked the coolant level lately?   If it was not a fancy auto system I would say for sure its low coolant or air in the cooling system.  With the auto system there could be control issues but might as well start with the basics.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

okccadman

Coolant is full, thermostat is good and radiator flow well.  im thinking the control unit or some kind of blend door or module
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

CEC #20099

I have a 90 SDV that has had many heater problems. I would suggest you remove the glove box from the dash. On the left, you will see the damper rod & linear servomotor that controls the blend air door.  With the car running & warmed up, you should see the Servomotor respond, as you reset the interior temp higher & lower. There is a removeable link in the rod, that will permit you to manually position the door, without forcing the servomotor.

Evaluate your results. A shop manual is a necessity to diagnose these systems.

I have had severe problems with the evaparator plugging from airborn dirt, & restricting the airflow. It is real fun to clean the exterior.
I have also heard that heater core plugging is an issue.

You can digitally interrogate the coolant temp sensor, via the digital dash diagnostics, to get a CENTIGRADE coolant temp reading, while running.
This diagnosis should give you data to further locate the problem.
c.chleboun # 20099