News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

power seats not working (68 Deville)

Started by 68DevCon, November 06, 2010, 08:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68DevCon

When it use any of the controls, you can hear them click like they are getting power, but the seat does not move.

- Any ideas on how to fix this

- Anyone know of some one in the Santa Cruz, CA area who can fix this (or SF Bay Area)

- Is there any way to manually move a power seat.  I don't really need to be able to adjust them on an ongoing basis, but I would like to set them differently than they are currently set.

thanks!

s. o'rorke

Tim Groves (Cadillac Tim)

First, do you hear the seat motor run when you activate any of the seat switch controls?  If you don't hear the motor run, then I would first check the seat relay. The seat relay turns the motor on.  The seat switch sends power to the seat transmission and seat relay.  If you hear the seat motor run, but no seat movement then the seat transmission needs repaired.  But if all you hear is clicks, then check the relay.  Tim

68DevCon

Thanks Tim -

All I hear is clicks, so the relay may be the problem.

Any idea where it's located?

thanks

s. o'rorke

68DevCon

Also - any way to adjust the seat manually?

s. o'rorke

johnbryan#21196

You can unscrew the cable drives from the motor and adjust the seat with a power drill. I don't recommend it, though. I've screwed up a cable doing it.

I bet it a seat motor. The clicking is the relay, so the motor is probably shot. Give it a rap with a semi-soft object like a hammer handle and see if it lets the motor spin.

JB

william_b_noble

if you hear a click it may well be that the motors are getting power and the seat is jammed - this is common on my newer german car, but the older GM seats are more robust - still, it's possible and worth a check - you can put power straight to the motor, also, to see what happens
Bill N - clc # 2371

joecaristo

I suggest to check the relay first. Its always a good idea to start with the easiest fix. My 76 Eldo's seat would not move and all I head was a "clicking sound". Someone suggested to check the relay which is located under the driver's seat. I had a relay taken from an 78 Eldo and used it on the 76 and now if works fine.
Joe
Joe Caristo

Tim Groves

The clicking you're hearing is the solenoids in the seat transmission.  As I mentioned earlier, the switch sends power to BOTH the seat transmission and the seat relay.  And even if the relay clicks, it can still be bad.  Seen this many, many times.  Tim

Steve W

I agree with Mr Noble...your seat might just be jammed. Try sitting in the seat and "helping" the seat move in the direction you want it to go. (Do this with the car running, it'll drain a battery to do it repeatedly. Don't ask me how I know...) Worth a try anyway.
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866