News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What engine?

Started by Joe Manna, November 07, 2010, 01:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Manna

Would anyone know what engine came in a '84 CdV?.

Thanks,
Joe
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

Doug 22747

...should be the 4.1L., AKA the HT4100. 
Doug Browne
Atlanta, GA

okccadman

I believe they offered the HT-4100 4.1 Litre aluminum V-* as well as a 5.7 Litre Olds Diesel and a 4.1 V-6
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

TJ Hopland

From most peoples point of view your choices are the worst engine GM ever made (the 5.7 diesel) or the 2nd worst (HT4100). 
The V6 option was mid 80 thru 82.  When they are compared to earlier generations they are underpowered. Even compared to other cars of the era they are on the low range of performance.   On the up side they will do 20 mpg around town and 30 under ideal highway conditions.   That is not bad for a huge not very aerodynamic body mostly designed in the 70's.   One reason for this is the overdrive transmission, the THM200 4R.   It also was prone to early failure especially in the first few years.       
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Joe Manna

Gents,

Thanks for the responses.

Joe
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

TJ Hopland

I guess I should have added that I am one of a few people that does not have a problem with either of those engines.  I have owned 4100's in the past and did not sell them because of engine reliability issues.  I would consider another one if the right deal came along.   Im old enough to prefer 2 door cars and the 79-85 Eldo body style has grown on me over the years.  I also really like the 80-85 CDV or Fleetwood coupe bodies and interiors.   I did have a 83 Fleetwood coupe for many years.  Had the transmission done 2x but never had issues with the motor.  I sold it because I hit some hard times and the Fleetwood had more value and worse MPG than another car I still owned.   Not long after selling it things turned around and I got a job with a company car so that is when I found my 73 convert and that became my toy.   Years later when I could afford more than one toy and sort of had the space for another I started buying more.   My most recent purchase is an 80 Eldo diesel.   So far I am having fun with it.   Actually I am setting off on a 400 mile round trip in the Eldo today because my daily driver company funded car is in the shop again waiting for a new wiring harness to come in.  So far that repair estimate is 2x what I paid for the Eldo.    In the eldo you could put a coffee mug on the dash and no way spill it.  Got in my other car and thought I was going to rip my head off when I stepped on the gas.   A 275 hp difference in cars that weighs about the same is noticeable.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason