News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 Eldo....valve ticking...

Started by Arthur tascone, November 12, 2010, 08:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur tascone

Hello All,

I need some advice about how to address valve ticking on my 62 Eldo.  It seems to be coming from the left bank.  Can these be adjusted, or do the heads need to be rebuilt?  Other than the ticking noise the engine runs smooth, good power, engine does not smoke.

Appreciate your advice,

Arthur
emmd61@yahoo.com

Coupe

There is no adjustment in the valve train. The hydraulic lifters should take up the slack. You have either a sticky lifter or possibly an exhaust leak. I would start by taking a piece of heater hose and hold 1 end to your ear and move the other end over the valve cover.  If you aren't able to isolate the noise there do the same down around the exhaust manifold by each port. An exhaust leak will make a ticking sound.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Dave Ritchie #6051

I have a 73 Eldo Coupe that sat idle for 2 years.  I  have a valve train noise that is pronounced when first started.  Changed oil (Rotel with zinc), filter, and added 1 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. The valve train noise goes away after a block or two of driving.  Then the sticky valve noise starts.  After several miles of driving that noise goes away, possibly due to the heat or better oil pressure and circulation.  I guess the best solution would be to replace all the lifters, but the cost would be crazy.  DAVE

CEC #20099

Lifters Sticking
I have had good success with 1 Qt Dexron ATF, & the rest of the refill 10W-30. New filter. Run the engine hard for at least 1 hr. before shutting off. Wouldn`t hurt to leave it in 2-3 days & repeat running. All lifters that are sticking should be quiet. Lifters with mechanical issues will still tap. I have kept several high mileage vehicles running this way. Dexron ATF has very high detergency.
After completion, Drain hot, change filter, & refill with 10W-30, or 10W-40. Nothing heavier.
If the problem persists, hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge, to verify oil pressure.
Last step is replace all lifters. I had to replace all on a low mileage 64 Pontiac, because of varnish, not sludge.
Good luck.  c.chleboun #20099

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

MAURICE

the valve train on these motors are mounted on a shaft that the oil flows thru, after disasembling several of these engine I always find a buildup of sludge inside the shafts. This could be reducing the oil flow to the rockers causing your noise also. the trans fluid thing may help as trans fluid has a high amount of detergent in it. If you do go the route of changing the lifters I would clean the shafts out also.
maurice