News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1953 Supercharged Eldorado sold @ RM for $385,000

Started by Jeffrey Burland, November 15, 2010, 02:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffrey Burland

Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I've seen this car and know the history.  I'm surprised it didn't go for more than
that!  I saw it at Meadowbrook about 5 years ago.

That was a documented, one-off vehicle made by Cadillac engineering.  It was
a special order built for a paper company executive in Wisconsin.  The full story
and history appeared in Automobile magazine in November, 1985.  The
car ws featured on the cover with detailed pics in the article.

The horsepower was estimated at 300+ but never actually tested.

Back in the day, if you had enough money and contacts (the buyer knew the head
of GM engineering) Cadillac would build you just about anything you wanted!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Quentin Hall Australia

It was this car on the cover of Collectible Automobile in Nov 1985 which started my Eldorado love affair. I was 20 and already driving a 57 Sedan Deville but suddenly lusted after the supercharged azure blue Eldo on the cover and also Bob Hoffman's standard azure blue one in the article. 25 years later I am now slowly restoring my own azure blue with blue and white int ,black top. Hoping to have it finished for the 2012 Australian Cadillac Nats in Toowoomba here in Queensland. 
I still have that Nov 85 issue but it is so battered and worn from constant use that I retired it about a year  ago and bought a brand new replacement on ebay.
I often ponder how my life would have been a lot simpler if I had just picked up the Nov 85 issue of Playboy or Mad magazine instead.     

Quentin Hall Australia

Sorry wrong photo, that's my Alpine white car. (Or at least will be) Here is Azure blue. Actually it has progressed quite a bit since then. Always looking for 53 57 and 59 Eldo bits. Regards. Q

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Quentin Hall Australia on November 16, 2010, 06:56:11 AM
I often ponder how my life would have been a lot simpler if I had just picked up the Nov 85 issue of Playboy or Mad magazine instead.     
Probably be in gaol by now.   Or totally mad. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Vince Taliano #13852

I will give you a hint.  He lives in the Potomac Region and owns two other 1953 Cadillacs including a Lemans. 
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

quadfins

So is it possible that, one day, it might be seen at one of the fabulous Potomac Region semi-annual shows at Capitol Cadillac?

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Vince Taliano #13852

Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

Jeff Maltby 4194

Poor picture of the oem Collectible Automobile 1985 mag cover article. Present owner  (1985) is Dr. Gerlad DePersio of Santa Ana, calif.   
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Pedal2Metal

Just a slight correction, that's Dr Gerard (Jerry) DePersio, now age 76, retired Tustin, CA. anesthesiologist, a Pebble Beach winner with a Buick Concept Car, and renowned Caddy Collector, who also owned many many other cars as well. I have been trying to find his phone number (with no luck so far) because I would like to speak to him. I just acquired his 1960 Eldo Biarritz Bucket Seat car in Heather/White/White that is featured on other pages in this very same magazine. Any leads are appreciated.
1931 Oakland V8 2-Door Sedan
1942 Hudson Big Boy Pickup
1958 Messerschmitt Kabinenroller 200
1960 Eldo Biarritz Bucket Seat - Heather/White
1965 Ford GT40 (CAV)
1969 Shelby GT500
1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda 4-Speed Vert
1974 Jaguar V12 E-Type Roadster

Ross Morgan #22943

I believe an exact replica (including the array of gauges) of this car is being made in Brazil.  Matt Larson told me some years back that the '53 supercharged Eldo was sitting along side a Detroit gas station garage for years before it was saved.  Ross.

Bill Caddyshack

Damn! Wish I had known it was coming up. That price seems low for such an historic vehicle. I'd have bid more.

Jerry Puma

Jerry Puma
1964 Eldorado
1961 Series 62 6-window

bcroe

Quote from: Bill CaddyshackDamn! Wish I had known it was coming up. That price seems low for such an historic vehicle. I'd have bid more. 

If you want to impress me, lets hear some 0-60 or 1/4 mile performance, and handling.  Meantime I'll
just try be happy with the $380,000 I saved on my plain jane 300 hp Olds with 12" disc brakes.  Bruce Roe

veesixteen

I don't have a phone number for Jerry De Persio, just an (old?) street address:

12602 El Roy (El
Rey?) Drive
Santa Ana CA 92705

I got that info from Bill Hall, back in 1978-79. Bill's phone at that time was (714) 984-0551
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"