News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1950 convertible underseat dual solenoid switch problem

Started by ghelseth, November 28, 2010, 01:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghelseth

I have removed, cleaned and reinstalled this assembly twice with the same result: The rear windows work fine, the solenoids click and retract properly, but no fluid gets to the top cylinders. Are the valves supposed to be physically attached in any way to the solenoids, or are they just supposed to drop down when the solenoid retracts? It seems that the valves just remain in the up position and don't retract with the solenoid. Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Quentin Hall Australia

There is a possibility that the passages to the top rams are still blocked with gunk. The old brake fluid forms a very good stopper. I used a fine bit of wire to "feel" the small passage holes out. You may have to soak the body in diluted Phosforic acid for a day to clean it up and then have a poke around. If I recall correctly there is one in particular that is prone to blockage that I almost overlooked . . . (or was that in the 57 top pump? )
    Also make sure that both the solenoids are operating and not just one. Are you sure the 2 little valves in the alum cast body are also dropping down with the piston of the solenoid?? If they are stuck then you have to very carefully remove them without damaging the shaft or the bore. Vice grips right on the end and a bit of heat from an oxy have worked for me. 
       My unit was the 53 12v but I have seen the 6v and I think it is the same (excpt for the solenoids). Mine works as it should and it was gunked up solid.  Regards. Q

ghelseth

I soaked the valve body in Seafoam for a couple of days to try to get everything cleaned out, hopefully successfully, but maybe not. How can I be sure the valves are dropping down when the solenoids are energized/retracting? I'm guessing that is the problem, although they did not appear to be stuck in their bores at all and came right out with a needle nose plier. Either that or there is some other blockage between the rear window fluid supply output ports and the top up output ports. I figured that since the window fluid supply ports and the top up supply ports are right next to each other on the valve body there wasn't any place for a blockage there. Am I wrong on that assumption?  Thanks again for your help Quentin.