News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Radiator re-core

Started by laseek, November 20, 2010, 05:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laseek

Back in January 2009 I posted a topic asking for advise about the radiator leaks
I was having on my 1933 LaSalle. First I want to thank all of you members who
responded to my post.  I tried injecting epoxy into the core where the leaks were.
No luck.  This was the original radiator i.e. 76 years old.
I put just 2 lbs of air pressure into the core and about a dozen leaks appeared.
No hope for repairing this radiator.
  There are several options for this repair work. You can have
a modern core put in, which is the cheapest way.  You can have a thin slice of original
looking core sandwiched over front of the modern core, so it LOOKS original; or
you can have an exact replica core installed. (big bucks)
After much time on my computer and many calls, I decided to have TheBrassworks
do the job.  I opted for the an exact replica replacement.
After 3 months I got the radiator back.   Three months?  Yes.... These old cores are
made to order in England and then shipped to the repair shop for installation.
Bottom line is that Thebrassworks did a fantastic job and it only cost $2375 plus shipping.
Terry Peters  CLC 877

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations on getting the radiator replaced.

Trying to slice off the front of a core to cover a new one without destroying the shape would probably cost more then the replacement from England. ;)

Bruce. >:D

PS.   You have mail.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Wayne Womble 12210

Just think, Terry, Thats only a little more than $4 a year.  What a bargain.  ;D

R Schroeder

My math says 31.25 per year.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The car is actually 77 years old, so the calculation is $30.84 per year.   Without the shipping and handling.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Wayne Womble 12210

Aint such a bargain then is it?    ;D

R Schroeder

TJ Hopland

I assume a 33 is one where the radiator is pretty much right up front in the open so looks are more important than a newer car where it is somewhat hidden by a grille? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

laseek

TJ,   The radiator core on these 1933 Cars does not show from the outside, you have to lift the hood.
       Some of us old car people in this era like to have their car look as authentic as possible.
Some day in the not to distant future I will have to sell my car.  Any serious buyer who lifts the hood would
not be impressed with a modern radiator; its a sales killer.  I appreciate your question, its a good one.
Terry Peters
Terry Peters  CLC 877

TJ Hopland

Just curious what were the cost estimates for the shaved option and the modern core?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

laseek

TJ,
     The price estimates for the correct replica core were $3500 from Maine Radiator and $2200 from The Brassworks
For the modern core with a slice of replica core in front of it were quotes were around $2000
I did not get any estimates for just a modern core because I did not want one.
Lee at The Brassworks said he will not do the facia(shaved option) at all.
He told me that a lot of his work comes from other radiator shops who find out they cannot handle antique radiator restoration.
I recommend that anyone with a vintage or antique car check with The Brassworks. I am very happy with them.
Terry Peters 
Terry Peters  CLC 877

Wayne Womble 12210

I guess I am cheap, no, I know I am.    I had a core built to my specific dimensions by RoCore, and did all of the welding work myself. Cost about $350 about four years ago.  Would probably be a little more now.  Not exactly original but it works well.

TJ Hopland

Interesting.   Thanks for the information.   Someday I may own something from that era. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV