News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962eldorado / fleetwood Paint Detail

Started by Series75, November 24, 2010, 07:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Series75

I've had spirited debate over a paint detail specific to 1962 Eldorados.  The question is...should the top of fender stainless trim running from the top of fthe body colored fender mounted turn signal to the windshield have a body color insert as found on Fleetwood Sixty Specials.   All 3 60S I've owned have factory painted inserts.  I believe that also relates to Eldorados as they shared many styling points with the 60 Specials.  Now I understand the Bible (CLC Authenticity Manual) says the Eldorado should not have this area painted but I'd like to hear from Eldorado owners who have original paint cars.  Thanks, Tom

J I Garner CLC # 23406

I have a 62 eldo and there was no evidence of paint ever having been on that part. Since my car is white with black trim it would probably look gaudy if they were painted.
Jim

CarlSpackler

60th Anniversary 1962 Eldorado Biarritz

Gunga Galunga

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

This sequence bums me out since the trim in question on my '62
eldo is painted, matching the side trim.  The white insert against
the black paint looks good (not gaudy) but now I wonder if I should
take it off?!

Series 75

the "guady" comment some time back really made me laugh.....as if we were talking about using pin striping tape on a Nova..       Everything else on your car was body colored coordinated,,wheel covers & side trim and rear lower portion of the grille panels.   I'm not satisfied this subject is closed out.   BTW, I also see the color in the center of the similar moudings on 1961 Fleetwoods.   Tom

J I Garner CLC # 23406

When you are bringing an old car back to life, I feel that you should do whatever you find appeals to you. If you like the spear painted to match go for it. It is a matter of personal choice. The paint will need to go into the turn signal indicator as well. There is an old adage that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jim