News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Looking for bodywork help for '37 7529 convertible limo in MI

Started by maddiecaddy, December 06, 2010, 05:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddiecaddy

I need help finding someone to work on my 1937 series 75 convertible limo, which is a long-term project. Specifically, I'd like to hire someone who is experienced with similar cars, and who can repair & align the rear body section and the doors... I'd like to get started asap, but I'm not sure exactly where to start! Any help is appreciated, an I'd prefer someone in S.E. Michigan if possible. I know there are LOTS of body guys out there, but not many have ever dealt with the wood/metal structure of these cars. PLEASE call JIM at 248-765-1048 or email, and thanks for your help in advance!

I also have a '37 series 7533 sedan as a "parts" car that sheetmetal can be taken from, unless new pieces can be made. Also, I'd be willing to trade cars/parts for work as well.
JIM ADAMS CLC#19392
BLOOMFIELD HILLS, MI
1937 7529 convertible sedan V12
1959 6267 convertible
1964 Lincoln Continental convertible
1967 Porsche 912
1970 Mercedes 280sl
1972 Mercedes 350sl

Classic

Jim, my thoughts for what they are worth:  I have a 37-7519 (restored) and a 37-7529 (unrestored).  For me, the first order of business is to repair the wood framing.  It will take someone who is a skilled woodworker and who ideally has experience with wood framed cars.  You can remove the sheet metal from the wood and rebuild the wood framework, but that is a big job.  If at least a portion of the wood framing is still good, the rotted wood can be cut out and new wood installed without removing the sheet metal.  The wood in the bottoms of my doors was rotted and replaced without having to remove any sheet metal.  How are your wood body sills?  Mine were OK.  But replacing them can be done with a lot of work.  The Motor City Region of the CLC is the largest and I'm sure there local members near you who can recommend the appropriate craftsmen.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Classic

Jim, just looked in the latest CLC member directory.  I don't see you listed.  Are you a member?  If not, join.  The CLC has a wealth of resources and it's members have a wealth of knowledge to share.
Gene Menne
CLC #474