News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Illini Motor Co. Springfield

Started by Scott Mathis #25832, December 07, 2010, 05:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Mathis #25832

I learned through GM Media Archives that my 1955 60S was ordered and delivered through Illini Motor Co. (Cadillac & Oldsmobile) located at 711 South 5th. in Springfield Illinois.

I haven't had much luck in discovering so much as a picture of the old dealership. Although, I did learn through a profile listed on a WW II POW web site that a man named Paul Caveny hired on at the dealership soon after he was liberated from a German POW camp in 1945 and became Sales Manager sometime in the 50's. I tried to email him, but his email account has been turned off. Then I discovered that unfortunately Mr. Caveny passed away in 2002.

I was hoping that someone out there might have some info about the dealership. History, photos, newspaper advertisements...anything please!

Also, Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can track down who originally owned/ordered this Cadillac?  I know it was sold new in Illinois but went to California soon after (Owner ordered car with size# 3 license frames ). I have traced all owners since 1974 through paperwork found in glove box, under seats..etc. All have been California residents, so far.

Thank You!

Scott Mathis
1955 Fleetwood 60S

R Schroeder

Tom Hall 7485

If GM Heritage Center was able to tell you that Illini Motor Company received the car, you are fortunate.  Illini was almost certainly an associate or direct dealer at that time, but Heritage Center generally has record only of distributors who received cars during that period.  So you have info that is one or two rungs down the distribution chain from what is normally available.  Your car has a special order feature, or you got a copy of an invoice saying "ship to..."?  I would be very interested to know what outlet code and order number are shown on that document.  I keep a data base of the old dealers.

According to the March 1936 Cadillac Serviceman Supplement (via courtesy of Warren Rauch), at that time Illini bought its new Cadillacs through the distributor (a particular level of middleman) in Peoria, Travis Cadillac Company.  It may have been the same as of 1955. 

Inquire of Allied-Vaughn/GM Heritage Center whether they can set you up with a photo of the dealership.  Also look in the local newspapers for their ads.  Unfortunately, being 55 years after the fact does make it difficult to learn the name of the first consumer. 

Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Scott Mathis #25832

Roy, thanks for the photo link!

Tom, You are right it was a special order car. The car was ordered with every option avail in 55 and the interior was a special order layout.

According to the document the outlet code= PEO (Peoria?) order# 334. Someone at GM Heritage hand wrote "Illini Motor Co., Springfield" on the document.
1955 Fleetwood 60S

Tom Hall 7485

Yes, GM billed PEO (Peoria, Travis Cadillac Company) for the car and then Travis sold the car, still brand new, to Illini.  I'm afraid I can't help with the consumer's name, though. 
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

Jeff Miller

I lived in Springfield for a few years and passed by this building several times.  I never realized it was an Cadillac dealership at one time, but it now houses an artwork and pottery store, as well as, a car repair facility at one end....it's a striking building.  Next time I go up there I can try to get a picture from the historical archives in the Sangamon County Library...but I'm unsure of when that will be exactly.  My 56 rode those same streets for several years before I moved back to Arkansas.

Jeff M

MickeyCaddy

Hi Scott,

Your post is very interesting to me. I recently (January, 2016) bought a 1955 Series 62 Sedan that I'm trying to research.

I bought my car here in California, but the build sheet shows the outlet code as PEO; same as yours. In addition, my order number is 487; yours is 334. And, my license plate frame code is 3, indicating California as one of four possible states; the other three are Alabama, New Mexico, and Wyoming.

This seems to indicate that my car was ordered in Illinois, but soon shipped far away â€" the same as yours. I wonder if there's any connection between our two cars?

What color is yours? Mine is all black outside, with a gray interior.

Michael Chanslor

Rob Troxel

In the 1950s  the distributor (a particular level of middleman) in Peoria, Travis Cadillac Company handled most of the central Illinois local dealer =>> My father was a friend of a small Cadillac Olds dealer in Paxton Illinois (Bill Young of Young Motors Sales). On many occasions we would drive over to Peoria (nearly 100 miles away) and bring home a couple of new 55/56 Caddy's for customers. As a nine year old, I remember there was no front carpeting installed on these cars. It was impressive to view the line up of these Caddy's to an already confirmed car enthusiast.

blaisdell

My grandfather, William (Bill) Fry would have been working at the Illini Motor Company in 1955.  He worked there all through my childhood, and i have fond memories of visiting him at the dealership.  He retired sometime after the new dealership was built outside of town.  The dealership was owned by a man named George Crieder (sp?).  I also remember my grandfather going to St. Louis to pick up cars -- my brother loved going with him.