News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What is this ??? I need help......

Started by Cadillac1955, December 12, 2010, 02:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac1955

It's something I wonder ..... What are these tiny "studs/pins" that stick out of the engine? What are they meant for? Is this a Cadillac 429 engine?

Andrè Aga

Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1955
Cadillac Coupe de Ville 1964 "The Apollo"
Cadillac Conv. 1965

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Andre,

They are rubber "pins" that are a part of the moulding of the Sump Gasket to loocate the seal in place whilst it is being assembled.

These are put there to allow the Seal to be retained in place as without them, it would be very difficult to get the gasket to stay in place as the sump is being put onto the engine.

I have never seen them that long before, so I would say that they aren't original, or maybe the ones I have seen are aftermarket.

You will notice a slightly larger diameter of the rubber, where it passes through the hole in the sump.   That is there so the pin cannot pull back out before being installed.   One simply puts the end through the hole, and then grips the end, and "pulls" it through until the larger part "pops" through.   They are needed when trying to put the sump on whilst the engine is still in the car, as it doesn't take much of an accidental touch to move it as it is being pushed up over the crossmember and under the crankshaft.

I have seen ones that don't have the "retainer" and they are hard to hold in place whilst assembling as the main part of the gasket wants to straighten itself.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon