News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Power window issue 80 Eldo

Started by TJ Hopland, December 14, 2010, 10:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

In the last few months of owning this car (80 eldo) several times now the drivers side window has gone dead.   If I roll it up as far as it goes I get a lot of air noise so I usually give it a quick bump back down.  Window goes up normally then I go to give it the bump down and its dead, it wont go up or down. Its never given any hints of stopping on the way up or down.  Pass side still works.  Cycling the key does not help. Wiggling the switch does not help.  Engine running or not does not seem to make any difference.  Same with opening the door, no change.   Sometimes its days before it works again.  Other times its fine 10 minutes later.    It appears to be an odd switch that did not fit tons of models so its a little harder to find or I would have already tried replacing it.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

EldoradoRedd1

TJ my door motors on my Eldorado would "act-up" So i took off both door panels & lubricated the track. I have'nt had any problems thus far. SOmetimes the wires to the switch can get a lil loose

EldoradoRedd1
S.Rhame
S.Rhame

TJ Hopland

Pretty sure I finally got this problem solved.   It appears that I had a weak circuit breaker.  I also learned that this type of breaker once it trips will only reset when the power is removed which in this case is done by turning the key off.    I had assumed that they were either manual push button reset (not common on cars) or self re setting by just cooling.   This is the type that is slightly larger than the regular plastic fuses and is in a metal can.   I must have been off in my diagnostic sequence because earlier I stated that cycling the key did not work and the pass side still did.  I must have been doing too many tests at the same time.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason