News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Re-anodizing Gold V with Insert

Started by Michael Brittan CLC #2750, December 17, 2010, 12:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Brittan CLC #2750

I'd like to have the trunk V on my '57 re-anodized.  It has a metal insert at the back retained by lips on the aluminum V.  Can anyone offer advice on removing the insert for the anodizing and then re-inserting it afterwards without damaging the aluminum?  I understand that trying to mask the insert for the acid anodizing process is too risky.  Mike
M Brittan

Pat MacPhail

Michael,
I would call McVeys regarding this...they could give you some guidance.
Cheers,Pat

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

You can't have ferrous metal (steel) and aluminum in the same chemical bath.
It will not work with anodizing.

Those mounting brackets will have to come off before you send it off to be
re-anodized.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Mike,

At the last Rocky Mountain Region Cadillac Lasalle Club meeting we had a guest who wanted to join the club.

He said this outfit could replate the carbs to the original zine color and lots of other plating.

I am planning to drop by to see what they can do, after the holidaze.

Specialty Plating Inc

2340 South Delaware Street
Denver, CO 80223
(303) 733-4470

If you get there before I do keep me informed.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The "gold-like" color on the carbs was done with zinc dichromate -- a completely
different process vs. anodizing.

Unfortunately, the dichromate coating doesn't last long and after a few years fades
away.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

R Schroeder

I dont know the quality of this companies parts, but they do list new ones here.
Roy
http://usapartssupply.com/cadillac.php

Many thanks for all the input.  From all the investigation, I have concluded that for anodizing, which is the correct procedure for the original aluminum Vs, the steel backing used for mounting should first be removed.  The reproduction replacement Vs marketed by USA Parts Supply are I believe gold plated (not anodized) brass.  I had originally ordered Vs from them, and found that the quality was poor, apart from the plated color not being factory correct.  The profile of the trunk V was not correct and did not match the contour of the trunk.  It was not even close. 
M Brittan

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Michael,

Your comment about the V’s contour not matching the body is telling. If you’re referring to the trunk V, the model makes a difference. The Eldorado V is different than the other series, so the V’s are not interchangeable.. When I restored my ’57 Seville I was in the same predicament. McVey (George himself) used my original to digitize and manufacture Eldorado V’s via a CNC machine. The parts were gold plated brass and fit perfectly. The gold plating still looks great many years later.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

You raise a good point, Ralph.  One normally specifies the Series of the vehicle when ordering.  For the Series 62 trunk, both arms of the V should be slightly concave in profile to fit the contour of the deck lid.  However, the USA Parts Supply V had one arm flat and the other slightly convex!
Michael
M Brittan

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Michael,

That sounds more like a reject part than design difference. Both arms of the V should have the same curvature and contour.
If I remember correctly, the Eldorado V has less curvature than the other series.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Ralph:
Yes, this was obviously a reject part, and should not have been offered for sale in the first place.  I guess, in general, if a defective part is returned enough times from different customers who might incur restocking fees and have paid for the shipping, the part will have paid for itself handily.
Regards,
Michael
M Brittan