News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1953 Eldorado convertible top valve

Started by David Temple, December 27, 2010, 10:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Temple

Can anyone confirm whether or not someone is making the convertible top valve for the 1953 Eldorado?

Quentin Hall Australia

G'day David, Very,very wet and miserable here in Brisbane, so thankfully I have the forum to fall back on for entertainment, otherwise I would have to address the substantial list of jobs that my wife has kindly prepared for me .
           Yes I believe that Hydroelectric has done the valves. I have a Hydroelectric one on a 53 convert that is languishing unfinished till I finish the 2 Eldos. That said, a friend did buy one and it gave trouble (ie Not correctly machined)  but I have always found the Hydroelectric people very helpful so perhaps he just needs to address it with them.  
            I was lucky to get two NOS ones recently and as soon as I get organised will finish installing all the lines.
            I'll go out to the shed shortly and double check the carbs. But I am sure they are Rochesters on both mine. There are several production variations that I have noticed on the Eldos. (On the 10 or so cars that I have gone thru). So I wouldn't discount the use of a Carter carb.
            Can I also say that your book is one of the best automotive books that I have read and is a constant source of knowledge and enjoyment for me. The thorough research is evident, something that sadly cannot be said of the vast majoriy of books on our favourite cars.  
             If you have any info on Ron Hill and the 57 Biarritz I'd love to see it.  (I still think the 57 Eldo Biarritz is the production embodiment of the Motorama ideal, and after all these years it is still, in my eyes, the most beautiful of the 50's Cads). Yes I know it is overshadowed by the Brougham and the 59 in some regards, but it's coming into it's own now. Some love it, but some loathe it.  I know Dave Holls didn't like it. That may have been office rivalry though. I know Ron went on to the Pasadena Art College (designed by Craig Elwood but that is another story).       Regards. Quentin.    

David Temple

Thanks so much for the help and compliments regarding my book, Quentin.

Ross Morgan #22943

Hi David

I bought and tried to use a repro valve but had to send it back.  This was a couple of years ago and either the top or windows were very slow to raise (it was done in the U.S. and I wasn't there).  In Australia, we ended up machining the two internal sealing surfaces and making new seals. This sorted out the continual leakage problems.

Are you planning (or have you started) on a new book?

Regards, Ross.