News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1989 Electronic Level Control System

Started by Dennis DiNorcia, January 03, 2011, 01:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis DiNorcia

Sometimes I cannot understand why car makers do what they do. I love having Auto level Control in my car however, is it necessary for the system to work with the key off? During the recent snowstorm here in New Jersey, there was so much snow on the trunk that apparently the level system came on and I guess could not lift the rear enough to turn the compressor of. Thus, the day after the storm when i went to start the car the battery was dead. I jump started the car and disconnected the wire connector at the compressor so it will not happen again but the level light still came on indicating the car was trying to level itself. I eventually removed the fuse to disable the whole system. Does anyone know what wire I can cut and splice into so that the system will only work the ignition key in the "on" or "run" position only? Thanks for the help.

R Schroeder

I would find a manual for that year car, and check the wiring. It sounds like its been changed already.
Something doesnt sound correct. My 78 system will not come on when the key is out.

TJ Hopland

I sort of recall that era being on some sort of timer module.   They did run without the key but I thought it was only for a limited amount of time that was intended to re level the car after you loaded or unloaded.   

If there is a fuse in the fuse box for that an easy way to change it would be to get an inline fuse (its a socket with wires).   Find a terminal on the keyed side of the fuse box, there is a special connector but I have found that a regular spade end seems to connect just fine. There are usually open terminals for un used options.  If not they make special connectors taps that slide under an existing fuse to give you a place to tap on.  One end of the fuse goes there to supply power.  The other end goes to the device side of the original fuse.  Its easily reversible if you choose to put it back.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason