News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 429 flexplate/starter specs.

Started by Subsonic, January 04, 2011, 01:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subsonic

I need to replace the flexplate on my stock original '67 429 engine. I'm told this is a 153-tooth flexplate. Is this true and is it internally or externally balanced? Do any aftermarket companies currently offer a new replacement? And, finally, who makes a high-torque starter to fit this application? Thank you.

Jim Sparrow

The Delco starter number from my 1997 parts book that you want is 323-243. But if the nose cone is shattered due to broken flywheel teeth your starter can be repaired/rebuilt. Just a thought. When I replaced my flywheel on my '66 model I got a new one from Ted Holcombe at (215)-245-4560. HTH    -Jim

Subsonic

Thanks, Jim. No starter damage. But I noticed a few teeth missing from the flexplate when I replaced the starter last year. It's problem maybe once a Summer when I hit the key. But I'd like to begin enjoying the car more often and don't want to have to think about it on a road trip. No problem finding replacement starters but am looking to upgrade it a bit. Just the motorhead mentality in me. Thanks again.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mr.Sub,
There are two rebuilt starters currently available through AC Delco rfor the rear wheel drive cars (429/472/500).  The standard starter is part number 336-1847 and the high torque (and there is really a difference in power) is number 323-364.  I've got one of the high torque units in my '73 with a 10.5:1 compression motor, with no starting hesitancy.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-