News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac Eldorado 1983

Started by mauser, January 06, 2011, 01:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauser

Dear friends
I have a Cadillac Eldorado 1983 and I make some work on him in the wintertime, it is my daly driver over the sommer here in Iceland
My problem is that it is difficult to start the engien some one told my that the injector valve leks, I have change the fuel pump in the tank,
can that be the reason for this sloww start?
Where can I find this  valve and order them
Thanks Johann Vilhjalmsson in Iceland
Johann Vilhjalmsson
CLC # 24743
Cadillac Fleetwood Brogham D' Elegance 1976
Cadillac Eldorado 1983

Dave Shepherd

" Someone told me" is not going to get you an accurate diagnosis. many things can cause hard start cold, low fuel pressure, clogged fuel filter, coolant temp sensor not sending proper readings to the ecm, heavily carboned up intake valves, ( common on the HT4100) and others, but these are the most common things to look for, assuming the plugs , wires and timing are ok.

TJ Hopland

On that engine you can see the bottom of the injectors and if there is any fuel leaking out of them.  They are in those pods you can see if you take the lid off the air cleaner.  Turn the key on, the fuel pump will run for a few seconds and then shut off until you start the engine.  This will put pressure in the system.  You can then look for a leak.   If it does leak there it may not be the injector itself.  With that style injector the pod is pressurized so its possible that the o rings that seal the injector in the pod are old and that is where the leak is.       If its all good there cycle the key a few more times to be sure there is pressure and if there is still no leaks then it could be the fuel pressure regulator which is also built into the throttle body assembly sort of under the injector pods.  If it leaks it will leak fuel into the intake.  Its a bit harder to tell if this is the problem or not. Sometimes you can tell by the sound of the fuel pump when it runs those first few seconds, the sound tends to change when the fuel pressure is higher.  If it always sounds about the same its likely not leaking.  If the first cycle or two sound less loaded there may be a leak.   Another way to tell if there is gas leaking into the engine is try to start it with the pedal on the floor.  On an EFI car holding the pedal on the floor shuts off the fuel, if the engine fires with the pedal on the floor you know there is gas in there from somewhere.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason