News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1973 Cadillac

Started by Tom Schaefer, January 08, 2011, 04:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Schaefer

My 87 year old father would like to get his 1973 Cadillac up and running. It has 103,000 miles and has been kept in his garage. He is to old to drive however he want's to get it up and running so he can back the car out of the garage to wash it. The last time he started it was 3 years ago and he retried 2 years ago and it would not start. I can get it to run for about 10 seconds if I pour gas in the carb but it dies when the gas is gone. I took off the fuel line to the carb and turned the engine overe and no gas was coming out. I put 4 gallons of gas in the tank before I started so I know it has plenty of gas. I blew on the intake gas line and I can hear air in the tank no bubbles. Could the diaphram in the fuel filter have rotted out.Does anybody have any ideas or can you give me the name of a good mechanic? Thanks for the help the car is my fathers pride and joy and any pleasure he can get at his age is well worth the trouble.

TJ Hopland

Based on your testing fuel pump seems to be the most likely problem, they certainly can fail with age and from sitting.  The ethanol found in most gas today does not help old rubber parts especially when they sit. 

That pump should still be available from normal parts stores and its not too bad a job to change em.   If its an original and correct pump for a 73 the fuel filter is located inside the pump.   

I have also seen it where the rubber lines between the steel lines on the tank and the steel lines on the frame rot out.  Since blowing on the line produced bubbles those lines may be alright.  You can see them above the rear axle.  With a needle nose you can get the clamps off and replace the hoses without dropping the tank.   There is a 1/4,  5/16, and 3/8 line there.  The 3/8 is the fuel suction line but if you are back there just replace them all to be safe. 

Give us an idea of the general location of your father and the car, maybe there is a member in the area that can help out or recommend a shop.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Tom,
You may have to put a few more gallons of gas in the tank.  There are a few "unusable" gallons in these tanks. I would suggest at least 10 gallons.  If you still hear air and no bubbles (have someone listen at the filler neck) then it is possible that the fuel pick up has dropped off.

As TJ suggests,there are also rubber hoses at the tank, located on top near the rear axle that might be your culprit.  They are definitely age sensitive, and might also be the  cause for lack of fuel flow.

Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Tom Schaefer

Thanks for the help I will keep you informed on what I find.

Tom Schaefer

Thanks Greg,
I put another 5 gallons of gas in the tank and it fired right up. It is running great. Your advice saved us from taking the car to a mechanic.
Thanks again for your help
Tom Schaefer