News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Full flow oil filter

Started by Kurt Kjelgaard, January 09, 2011, 07:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Kjelgaard

The 1957 "standard" Cadillac 365 engine has a "partial" flow oil filter,
whereas the Eldorado engines has a full flow oilfilter mounted on the side of the
block just above the starter (which has the solenoid mounted low to clear the filter housing)
The basic block, as I understand it, is the same except for the in/outlets for this type of filter.

Has anyone attempted a conversion from partial flow to full flow on the standard engine?
Do you think it is it possible?

My block has some sort of casting protrusions on the right rear side as if already prepared for some
further machining to fit the full flow system. I believe the main oil galley coming up from the oil pump
to the rear main bearing lives just behind.

Thanks,
Kurt
Kurt Kjelgaard
1957 7533X Imperial Sedan
CLC #23671

David King (kz78hy)

Hi Kurt

Below are photos of my engine while it was being rebuilt and it shows the part you are referring to.
The modification though was for the Eldorado Brougham engine only, not the other Eldorados.

Machining off the area of a regular block might work out alright, but finding the filter housing to bolt there would be very hard to find.  Maybe you could adapt a Buick housing as they used this style around the same time, at least according to the filter cartridge chart.

The Brougham housing also was where the oil pressure sending units were mounted, one for the gauge and one for the tell tale lamp.

The Brougham blocks had a few other holes added for other things, but in your case, that would not be required.

Hope this helps

David

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Kurt Kjelgaard

Thanks for the pictures - I can see now, that the block is a different casting.
Looking at it, it does not seem possible to modify a standard block
without considerable problems.
Thanks
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

cadman49

kurt, if you`re not worried about casting #s,get a 60 block if you can.they come from the factory with full flow oil filters(spin on) with a much improved mount,right side,very neat set up,full pressure oil to it. plus theyre 390" engines.(more power!) also 61,62 motors..............just saying richard king

Kurt Kjelgaard

Thanks for info, cadman49 - might be a possibility,.
Kurt
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671